Re: permitting questions

  • chris jude
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2013
      Thanks for that response.
      Thankfully we do have an attorney, and a winemaker on board.  Our location is in fact a former aluminum working plant, right next to a biodiesel facility.  One foot thick concrete walls and metal blast ceiling.  Hoping to have product out in a years time.
      With the fire Marshall and storing in casks (IFC 3401.2-8), I have heard that there is a height limit of 6 feet for that exemption, is that something folks have encountered?
      We're trying to avoid sprinklering if possible, all alcohol will either be 'in process' or stored in casks (could we also call that in-process?).
      I'm working mostly on equipment and fire/fda approval, while the lawyer and winemaker are dealing with TTB for now.
      The clock is ticking...

      Chris

      On Sunday, April 7, 2013, ballard_bootlegger wrote:

      Hi Chris- You've got a fun couple months in front of you. If I could give one piece of useful advice it would be to hire an attorney. The shocking amount of detail and paperwork between the federal and state licensing application process is easy to get bogged down in.
      As far as your building and location requirements it's really more of a local/state issue than a federal one. Sprinklers are not required federally. Here in Seattle the fire department can require sprinklers if you are storing bulk spirits in anything that is not made of wood or the bottle, but they might not... This loophole ridden rule is a good example of the convoluted permitting process that is best combed through by a professional comber.
      When looking for your distillery space I would recommend going as industrial as possible. Local and state municipalities will fight you less if you're not near a residential area. It's important to understand that most cities and states don't know much about distilling and may have a misconception about the viability and safety of your operation. Try to find a building that was previously used for something heavy like metal working or anything extra loud or disruptive to the environment. It's an easy choice for the powers that be to allow a use that is less impactful than that of previous occupants. What else... Oh, money. Make sure you have lots of money. You can count on paying your rent for at least six months before you can distill a drop of that sweet sweet legal nectar. All equipment must be in place and inspected before permits will be issued. Rent, equipment, branding (labels, etc.), legal fees, and time really start to add up when all must be in place before any sales can occur.
      There are so many things I wish I knew going into this, if you ever have any specific licensing questions feel free to send me a message or post here and I'll try to give you my $.02.
      Good luck and have fun!

      Drink well,
      Whitney.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, chris jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

      > Not sure that this is the right forum for this, but if anyone has any $.02
      > to throw in, or links to follow up on that'd be great.
      > I am working on the permitting and design/build and then operation of a new
      > distillery in an existing building. I'm looking for information on the
      > need or any code references regarding sprinklers in a facility operating a
      > still and storing liquor for aging in casks.
      > Also, what the experience has been with folks in the US on complying with
      > FDA inspections/permitting.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Chris

    • Eric Lowe
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2013
        My understanding is the pile height limits for storage still apply; the IFC chapter 34 exemption for barrels and bottles only counts toward reducing your MAQ. Hence, the storage height for all bottles and barrels needs to be kept under 6'.

        I guess it's up to your local FD as to what they are comfortable with and how they interpret the code. As long as you store <120 gal of feints in tanks, and everything else is "in-process", you could argue you don't need to comply with all the H-3 requirements, but they may not agree.

        Best of luck and let us know how it goes.