Re: [Distillers] The origins of Wa's gin matrix document

  • Desross
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
      Is this it?

      Sorry this is so long, but I'm including a great post from Waljaco on the Yahoo distillers group. After playing with this super-recipe, the procedure I use it tacked onto the end. For spices and herbs, USers and Canuckians are referred to Penzey's Spice Company and Mountain Rose Herbs. They are both super.

      WALS GIN COMPENDIUM FROM SEVERAL YEARS AGO*******

      WITH BOB'S GIN EXTRACT RECIPE

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:

      I have also found the botanicals used for the French Citadelle Gin.
      This 1771 recipe from Dunkirk has 19 botanicals which is the biggest
      number among current gins.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:

      Just found the botanicals for a Dutch gin - Van Gogh Gin.
      In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:

      Msg 13359 has commercial gin recipes mainly from the 19th century.

      This gives an idea of the botanicals and their quantity used With the aim of formulating a standard model

      for gin botanical quantities for the homedistiller, here is a table of the botanicals
      used in 10 modern gins:

      1)Tiger Gin
      2)Gordon's Distilled London Dry Gin
      3)Beefeater London Distilled Dry Gin
      4)Plymouth Gin
      5)Bombay Distilled London Dry Gin
      6)Bombay Sapphire Distilled London Dry Gin
      7)Mercury Gin
      8)Juniper Green London Dry Gin
      9)Van Gogh Gin (Holland)
      10)Citadelle Gin (France)

      Botanicals used-------Gin Brand (see above)
      ------------------------1---2---3----4---5----6----7----8---9---10---
      Juniper-------------yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-
      Coriander----------yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-
      Angelica root------yes-----yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-
      Cassia---------------yes-yes-yes-----yes-yes-yes------yes-yes-
      Cinnamon----------yes----------------------------------------yes-
      Liquorice-----------yes-----yes------yes-yes-yes------yes-yes-
      Bitter almonds-----------------------yes-yes-yes------yes-yes-
      Grains of Paradise------------------------yes-----------yes-yes-
      Cubeb berries-----------------------------yes-----------yes-yes-
      Bitter orange peel----------yes-----------------------------
      Sweet orange peel---yes----------yes----------yes---------yes-
      Lemon peel-----------yes-----yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-----yes-yes-
      Ginger-----------------yes---------------------------------
      Orris root-------------yes----------yes-yes-yes-yes-----yes-yes-
      Cardamon------------yes----------yes---------------------yes-
      Nutmeg---------------yes-yes------------------------------yes-
      Savory------------------------------------------yes-----yes-
      Calamus (sweet flag)----------------------------------------
      Chamomile---------------------------------------------------
      Violet root-------------------------------------------------yes-
      Cumin------------------------------------------------------yes-
      Aniseed----------------------------------------------------yes-
      Fennel seed-----------------------------------------------yes-

      The total amount of botanicals used is about 20-35 grams/litre.
      If we take the dominant botanical juniper as 'x', the proportions of the botanicals used is:

      x = juniper
      x/2 = coriander
      x/10 = angelica, cassia, cinnamon, liquorice, bitter almonds, grains of paradise, cubeb berries
      x/100 = bitter & sweet orange peel, lemon peel, ginger, orris root, cardamon, nutmeg, savory, calamus,

      chamomile, fennel, aniseed, cumin, violet root.

      If we use x = 20g then x/2 = 10g, x/10 = 2g, x/100 = 0.2g (200mg)
      Some current gins do not have a pronounced juniper character as
      they are used for cocktails and are more of a flavored vodka - for
      this type of gin for 'x' use equal quantities for juniper &
      coriander (i.e. x = 20g composed of 10g of juniper & 10g of
      coriander)

      The botanical are macerated in 45%abv neutral alcohol (usually
      for 24 hours), redistilled and then diluted to 42%abv which is an
      optimal strength for holding the flavour of the botanicals. Only the
      middle run (80-85%abv) is used to produce a high quality gin.
      Plymouth Gin also comes in a 57%abv 'Navy Strength' and which is also
      the British 100 proof strength.

      Bombay Sapphire Gin uses a Carterhead Still which contains a
      botanicals basket through which the vapour passes, a technique which
      gives a lighter flavour.

      All gins include juniper and coriander as an ingredient along
      with other botanicals. Typically a fine gin contains 6-10 botanicals,
      although the Dutch Damask Gin has 17, and the French Citadelle Gin
      has 19 - but this could be more for marketing reasons and has been
      criticised for lacking direction.

      Some American gins mention chamomile as a botanical which would
      give a blue tinge to the gin.

      Botanical names:
      juniper - juniperis communis
      coriander - coriandrum sativum
      angelica - archangelica officinalis
      cassia - cinnamonum cassia
      cinnamon - cinnamonum zeylanicum
      liquorice - glycyrriza glabra
      bitter almond - prunus dulcis, amara
      grains of paradise - afromumum melegueta
      cubeb berries - piper cubeb
      bitter orange - citrus aurantium
      sweet orange - citrus sinensis
      lemon - citrus limon
      ginger - zinziber officinalis
      orris root - iris florentina
      cardamon - elletaria cardamomum
      nutmeg - myristica fragrans
      savory - satureja hortensis
      calamus - acorus calamus
      chamomile - matricaria chamomilla
      violet root - viola odorata
      cumin - cuminum cyminum
      aniseed - pimpinella anisum
      fennel - foeniculum vulgare

      The usual mash for English gin is 75% maize, 15% barley malt and
      10% other grains, although rectified spirit from molasses is also
      used.

      Dutch gin originally was made from 1/3 malted barley and 2/3 rye
      meal, although these days the proportions given is 1/3 malted barley,
      1/3 rye, 1/3 maize.

      Wal
      (Keep in mind the suggested formula has been based on published
      material and not on experience.)

      BOB'S GIN EXTRACT#2

      In quart jar, put:

      Juniper, 1 level cup, 80 grams
      Coriander, heaping half cup, 44 grams
      Cinnamon, 4 grams (62 grains)
      Pepper cracked, .3 grams (5 grains)
      Lemon peel, .8 grams (12 grains) ~1 1/4" strip
      Cardamom pods, .8 grams (5 pods)

      Cover with 40% abv "vodka".

      Let stand 10 days. Distill in wee stovetop still until most of the flavor stops coming across (cinnamon

      flavor will be last).

      Use one part distillate to 8 parts neutral EtOH, or vodka.

      On 5/04/2013, at 11:32 AM, chris jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

      Where'd you post it, Bob?

      chris

      On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      Wal,

      Yesterday I posted my heavily edited and amended version of your old gin recipe matrix document on Modern Distiller, in response to a query for gin recipes. People loved it, as I always have, and I was asked if anyone knew the source of the document. I said that I only knew that it had come from you, and that I would ask you what your source was, or if you had been the original author.

      While you're at it, if you were to re-post it here, I'm betting that all the people who haven't seen it would be delighted and amazed.

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
        Chris,

        Here - http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1856

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, chris jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

        > Where'd you post it, Bob?
        >
        > chris
        >

        > On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM, tgfoitwoods zymurgybob@... wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Wal,
        > >
        > > Yesterday I posted my heavily edited and amended version of your old gin
        > > recipe matrix document on Modern Distiller, in response to a query for gin
        > > recipes. People loved it, as I always have, and I was asked if anyone knew
        > > the source of the document. I said that I only knew that it had come from
        > > you, and that I would ask you what your source was, or if you had been the
        > > original author.
        > >
        > > While you're at it, if you were to re-post it here, I'm betting that all
        > > the people who haven't seen it would be delighted and amazed.
        > >
        > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller *Making Fine Spirits*<http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>

      • tgfoitwoods
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
          Yes.

          I've used it for so long, and edited it all the while, and shared it as much a it's needed, that it's kinda hard to tell exactly which version is last, but that sure looks like what I posted on Modern Distiller.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 6, 2013
            Source?
            Lots of searching on product websites.
            wal