The origins of Wa's gin matrix document

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
      Wal,

      Yesterday I posted my heavily edited and amended version of your old gin recipe matrix document on Modern Distiller, in response to a query for gin recipes. People loved it, as I always have, and I was asked if anyone knew the source of the document. I said that I only knew that it had come from you, and that I would ask you what your source was, or if you had been the original author.

      While you're at it, if you were to re-post it here, I'm betting that all the people who haven't seen it would be delighted and amazed.

    • chris jude
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
        Where'd you post it, Bob?

        chris

        On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

        Wal,

        Yesterday I posted my heavily edited and amended version of your old gin recipe matrix document on Modern Distiller, in response to a query for gin recipes. People loved it, as I always have, and I was asked if anyone knew the source of the document. I said that I only knew that it had come from you, and that I would ask you what your source was, or if you had been the original author.

        While you're at it, if you were to re-post it here, I'm betting that all the people who haven't seen it would be delighted and amazed.

      • Desross
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
          Is this it?

          Sorry this is so long, but I'm including a great post from Waljaco on the Yahoo distillers group. After playing with this super-recipe, the procedure I use it tacked onto the end. For spices and herbs, USers and Canuckians are referred to Penzey's Spice Company and Mountain Rose Herbs. They are both super.

          WALS GIN COMPENDIUM FROM SEVERAL YEARS AGO*******

          WITH BOB'S GIN EXTRACT RECIPE

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:

          I have also found the botanicals used for the French Citadelle Gin.
          This 1771 recipe from Dunkirk has 19 botanicals which is the biggest
          number among current gins.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:

          Just found the botanicals for a Dutch gin - Van Gogh Gin.
          In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "waljaco" <waljaco@h...> wrote:

          Msg 13359 has commercial gin recipes mainly from the 19th century.

          This gives an idea of the botanicals and their quantity used With the aim of formulating a standard model

          for gin botanical quantities for the homedistiller, here is a table of the botanicals
          used in 10 modern gins:

          1)Tiger Gin
          2)Gordon's Distilled London Dry Gin
          3)Beefeater London Distilled Dry Gin
          4)Plymouth Gin
          5)Bombay Distilled London Dry Gin
          6)Bombay Sapphire Distilled London Dry Gin
          7)Mercury Gin
          8)Juniper Green London Dry Gin
          9)Van Gogh Gin (Holland)
          10)Citadelle Gin (France)

          Botanicals used-------Gin Brand (see above)
          ------------------------1---2---3----4---5----6----7----8---9---10---
          Juniper-------------yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-
          Coriander----------yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-
          Angelica root------yes-----yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-
          Cassia---------------yes-yes-yes-----yes-yes-yes------yes-yes-
          Cinnamon----------yes----------------------------------------yes-
          Liquorice-----------yes-----yes------yes-yes-yes------yes-yes-
          Bitter almonds-----------------------yes-yes-yes------yes-yes-
          Grains of Paradise------------------------yes-----------yes-yes-
          Cubeb berries-----------------------------yes-----------yes-yes-
          Bitter orange peel----------yes-----------------------------
          Sweet orange peel---yes----------yes----------yes---------yes-
          Lemon peel-----------yes-----yes-yes-yes-yes-yes-----yes-yes-
          Ginger-----------------yes---------------------------------
          Orris root-------------yes----------yes-yes-yes-yes-----yes-yes-
          Cardamon------------yes----------yes---------------------yes-
          Nutmeg---------------yes-yes------------------------------yes-
          Savory------------------------------------------yes-----yes-
          Calamus (sweet flag)----------------------------------------
          Chamomile---------------------------------------------------
          Violet root-------------------------------------------------yes-
          Cumin------------------------------------------------------yes-
          Aniseed----------------------------------------------------yes-
          Fennel seed-----------------------------------------------yes-

          The total amount of botanicals used is about 20-35 grams/litre.
          If we take the dominant botanical juniper as 'x', the proportions of the botanicals used is:

          x = juniper
          x/2 = coriander
          x/10 = angelica, cassia, cinnamon, liquorice, bitter almonds, grains of paradise, cubeb berries
          x/100 = bitter & sweet orange peel, lemon peel, ginger, orris root, cardamon, nutmeg, savory, calamus,

          chamomile, fennel, aniseed, cumin, violet root.

          If we use x = 20g then x/2 = 10g, x/10 = 2g, x/100 = 0.2g (200mg)
          Some current gins do not have a pronounced juniper character as
          they are used for cocktails and are more of a flavored vodka - for
          this type of gin for 'x' use equal quantities for juniper &
          coriander (i.e. x = 20g composed of 10g of juniper & 10g of
          coriander)

          The botanical are macerated in 45%abv neutral alcohol (usually
          for 24 hours), redistilled and then diluted to 42%abv which is an
          optimal strength for holding the flavour of the botanicals. Only the
          middle run (80-85%abv) is used to produce a high quality gin.
          Plymouth Gin also comes in a 57%abv 'Navy Strength' and which is also
          the British 100 proof strength.

          Bombay Sapphire Gin uses a Carterhead Still which contains a
          botanicals basket through which the vapour passes, a technique which
          gives a lighter flavour.

          All gins include juniper and coriander as an ingredient along
          with other botanicals. Typically a fine gin contains 6-10 botanicals,
          although the Dutch Damask Gin has 17, and the French Citadelle Gin
          has 19 - but this could be more for marketing reasons and has been
          criticised for lacking direction.

          Some American gins mention chamomile as a botanical which would
          give a blue tinge to the gin.

          Botanical names:
          juniper - juniperis communis
          coriander - coriandrum sativum
          angelica - archangelica officinalis
          cassia - cinnamonum cassia
          cinnamon - cinnamonum zeylanicum
          liquorice - glycyrriza glabra
          bitter almond - prunus dulcis, amara
          grains of paradise - afromumum melegueta
          cubeb berries - piper cubeb
          bitter orange - citrus aurantium
          sweet orange - citrus sinensis
          lemon - citrus limon
          ginger - zinziber officinalis
          orris root - iris florentina
          cardamon - elletaria cardamomum
          nutmeg - myristica fragrans
          savory - satureja hortensis
          calamus - acorus calamus
          chamomile - matricaria chamomilla
          violet root - viola odorata
          cumin - cuminum cyminum
          aniseed - pimpinella anisum
          fennel - foeniculum vulgare

          The usual mash for English gin is 75% maize, 15% barley malt and
          10% other grains, although rectified spirit from molasses is also
          used.

          Dutch gin originally was made from 1/3 malted barley and 2/3 rye
          meal, although these days the proportions given is 1/3 malted barley,
          1/3 rye, 1/3 maize.

          Wal
          (Keep in mind the suggested formula has been based on published
          material and not on experience.)

          BOB'S GIN EXTRACT#2

          In quart jar, put:

          Juniper, 1 level cup, 80 grams
          Coriander, heaping half cup, 44 grams
          Cinnamon, 4 grams (62 grains)
          Pepper cracked, .3 grams (5 grains)
          Lemon peel, .8 grams (12 grains) ~1 1/4" strip
          Cardamom pods, .8 grams (5 pods)

          Cover with 40% abv "vodka".

          Let stand 10 days. Distill in wee stovetop still until most of the flavor stops coming across (cinnamon

          flavor will be last).

          Use one part distillate to 8 parts neutral EtOH, or vodka.

          On 5/04/2013, at 11:32 AM, chris jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

          Where'd you post it, Bob?

          chris

          On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

          Wal,

          Yesterday I posted my heavily edited and amended version of your old gin recipe matrix document on Modern Distiller, in response to a query for gin recipes. People loved it, as I always have, and I was asked if anyone knew the source of the document. I said that I only knew that it had come from you, and that I would ask you what your source was, or if you had been the original author.

          While you're at it, if you were to re-post it here, I'm betting that all the people who haven't seen it would be delighted and amazed.

        • Des Ross
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
            this link is very informative as well

            http://homedistiller.org/flavor/gin

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 4, 2013
              Chris,

              Here - http://forum.moderndistiller.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1856

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, chris jude <vegbenz300@...> wrote:

              > Where'd you post it, Bob?
              >
              > chris
              >

              > On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:25 AM, tgfoitwoods zymurgybob@... wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Wal,
              > >
              > > Yesterday I posted my heavily edited and amended version of your old gin
              > > recipe matrix document on Modern Distiller, in response to a query for gin
              > > recipes. People loved it, as I always have, and I was asked if anyone knew
              > > the source of the document. I said that I only knew that it had come from
              > > you, and that I would ask you what your source was, or if you had been the
              > > original author.
              > >
              > > While you're at it, if you were to re-post it here, I'm betting that all
              > > the people who haven't seen it would be delighted and amazed.
              > >
              > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller *Making Fine Spirits*<http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>

            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 5, 2013
                Yes.

                I've used it for so long, and edited it all the while, and shared it as much a it's needed, that it's kinda hard to tell exactly which version is last, but that sure looks like what I posted on Modern Distiller.

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 6, 2013
                  Source?
                  Lots of searching on product websites.
                  wal