Re: Making Rye Whiskey

  • James
    Message 1 of 17 , Apr 4, 2013
      Many thanks to all who posted a response to my questions. The goal of this posting, gathering good practical advise from experienced distillers on the best methods for making rye, was met. I'll let you know in a few months how things turned out. Cheers, Jim

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

      > At 08:01 AM 3/27/2013, you wrote:
      > >

      > >Jim,
      > >
      > >My 3-greats grandfather got himself in trouble in Pennsylvania
      > >(Berlin, specifically, a rye-growing region, then) during the
      > >Whiskey Rebellion by supporting the local distiller/farmers. Maybe
      > >we've got something in our blood.
      > >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "James" <gone2tx@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Rye whiskey seems to be making a comeback in the US. My
      > > grandfather made and sold rye whiskey between 1895 and 1925 in
      > > Pennsylvania. I have some of his handwritten notebooks but there is
      > > little detail about his recipes. My research suggests that one
      > > should use about 70% rye, 25% rye malt and 5% barley malt. It is
      > > also suggested that increasing the % of malted rye will favorably
      > > increase the spirit flavor. My objective is to try to recreate a
      > > rye whiskey similar to what my grandfather made.
      >
      > There used to be a document floating around that (I think) gave the
      > bills (%ages of content) for most of the major corn based whiskeys
      > and some ryes. I lost it somewhere during a computer blowup and
      > never found it again. Perhaps it is in the archives somewhere?
      >

      > Derek

    • eyendall
      Message 2 of 17 , Apr 8, 2013
        I have been able to locate a copy of this Seagrams manual in a museum and have asked to have it photocopied. I have a copy of the table of contents which I can post if someone walks me through uploading a file to the group.