Re: [Distillers] Re: Making Rye Whiskey

  • henry sangret
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
      I ferment and distill on the grain like they all used to do.  Some grains like rye, corn, wheat and a few others are ok for a grain ferment.
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
        I sell beta-glucanase which will break the viscosity and increase the yield of rye based wort. It thins it enough to allow some sparging.
        enzymash.com

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, henry sangret <henrysangret@...> wrote:

        > I ferment and distill on the grain like they all used to do.  Some grains like rye, corn, wheat and a few others are ok for a grain ferment.
        >

        > ________________________________

      • James
        Message 3 of 17 , Apr 4, 2013
          Many thanks to all who posted a response to my questions. The goal of this posting, gathering good practical advise from experienced distillers on the best methods for making rye, was met. I'll let you know in a few months how things turned out. Cheers, Jim

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

          > At 08:01 AM 3/27/2013, you wrote:
          > >

          > >Jim,
          > >
          > >My 3-greats grandfather got himself in trouble in Pennsylvania
          > >(Berlin, specifically, a rye-growing region, then) during the
          > >Whiskey Rebellion by supporting the local distiller/farmers. Maybe
          > >we've got something in our blood.
          > >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "James" <gone2tx@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Rye whiskey seems to be making a comeback in the US. My
          > > grandfather made and sold rye whiskey between 1895 and 1925 in
          > > Pennsylvania. I have some of his handwritten notebooks but there is
          > > little detail about his recipes. My research suggests that one
          > > should use about 70% rye, 25% rye malt and 5% barley malt. It is
          > > also suggested that increasing the % of malted rye will favorably
          > > increase the spirit flavor. My objective is to try to recreate a
          > > rye whiskey similar to what my grandfather made.
          >
          > There used to be a document floating around that (I think) gave the
          > bills (%ages of content) for most of the major corn based whiskeys
          > and some ryes. I lost it somewhere during a computer blowup and
          > never found it again. Perhaps it is in the archives somewhere?
          >

          > Derek

        • eyendall
          Message 4 of 17 , Apr 8, 2013
            I have been able to locate a copy of this Seagrams manual in a museum and have asked to have it photocopied. I have a copy of the table of contents which I can post if someone walks me through uploading a file to the group.