Making Rye Whiskey

  • James
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 26, 2013
      Rye whiskey seems to be making a comeback in the US. My grandfather made and sold rye whiskey between 1895 and 1925 in Pennsylvania. I have some of his handwritten notebooks but there is little detail about his recipes. My research suggests that one should use about 70% rye, 25% rye malt and 5% barley malt. It is also suggested that increasing the % of malted rye will favorably increase the spirit flavor. My objective is to try to recreate a rye whiskey similar to what my grandfather made.

      My questions are...
      1) Can I use all malted rye? I'm sure this will cost more than unmalted rye but I can buy it in bulk at a good price and I am willing to pay extra to make a good rye whiskey. Is there a limit to how much malted rye one can use? Is there an advantage to using all malted rye?
      2) Will 5% malted barley provide enough enzymes to convert the starches to sugar or do I need to add additional enzymes.
      3) Does anyone have a better recipe for rye or a good source for recipes?

      Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Cheers,

      Jim
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 27, 2013
        Jim,

        My 3-greats grandfather got himself in trouble in Pennsylvania (Berlin, specifically, a rye-growing region, then) during the Whiskey Rebellion by supporting the local distiller/farmers. Maybe we've got something in our blood.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "James" <gone2tx@...> wrote:

        > Rye whiskey seems to be making a comeback in the US. My grandfather made and sold rye whiskey between 1895 and 1925 in Pennsylvania. I have some of his handwritten notebooks but there is little detail about his recipes. My research suggests that one should use about 70% rye, 25% rye malt and 5% barley malt. It is also suggested that increasing the % of malted rye will favorably increase the spirit flavor. My objective is to try to recreate a rye whiskey similar to what my grandfather made.
        >
        > My questions are...
        > 1) Can I use all malted rye?
        From a purely theoretical standpoint,that should work fine, I'm thinking mostly about starch conversion and fermentation, and not the mechanical considerations we hear about rye

        I'm sure this will cost more than unmalted rye but I can buy it in bulk at a good price and I am willing to pay extra to make a good rye whiskey. Is there a limit to how much malted rye one can use? Is there an advantage to using all malted rye?
        > 2) Will 5% malted barley provide enough enzymes to convert the starches to sugar or do I need to add additional enzymes.
        Although I've never worked with rye, I just looked up its diastatic power, which seems to be similar to barley malt, so no, 5% isn't enough to convert all the starches.
        http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue1.3/hayden.html

        > 3) Does anyone have a better recipe for rye or a good source for recipes?
        >
        > Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Cheers,
        >
        > Jim

      • bluwater2828
        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 27, 2013
          I've used "flaked" rye with nice results. Bout 2 lbs of malt to 10 lbs of rye . Sometimes ill thin with dextrose.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

          My 3-greats grandfather got himself in trouble in Pennsylvania (Berlin, specifically, a rye-growing region, then) during the Whiskey Rebellion by supporting the local distiller/farmers. Maybe we've got something in our blood.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "James" <gone2tx@...> wrote:

          > Rye whiskey seems to be making a comeback in the US. My grandfather made and sold rye whiskey between 1895 and 1925 in Pennsylvania. I have some of his handwritten notebooks but there is little detail about his recipes. My research suggests that one should use about 70% rye, 25% rye malt and 5% barley malt. It is also suggested that increasing the % of malted rye will favorably increase the spirit flavor. My objective is to try to recreate a rye whiskey similar to what my grandfather made.
          >
          > My questions are...
          > 1) Can I use all malted rye?
          From a purely theoretical standpoint,that should work fine, I'm thinking mostly about starch conversion and fermentation, and not the mechanical considerations we hear about rye

          I'm sure this will cost more than unmalted rye but I can buy it in bulk at a good price and I am willing to pay extra to make a good rye whiskey. Is there a limit to how much malted rye one can use? Is there an advantage to using all malted rye?
          > 2) Will 5% malted barley provide enough enzymes to convert the starches to sugar or do I need to add additional enzymes.
          Although I've never worked with rye, I just looked up its diastatic power, which seems to be similar to barley malt, so no, 5% isn't enough to convert all the starches.
          http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue1.3/hayden.html

          > 3) Does anyone have a better recipe for rye or a good source for recipes?
          >
          > Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Cheers,
          >
          > Jim

        • Derek Hamlet
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 27, 2013
            At 08:01 AM 3/27/2013, you wrote:

            >Jim,
            >
            >My 3-greats grandfather got himself in trouble in Pennsylvania
            >(Berlin, specifically, a rye-growing region, then) during the
            >Whiskey Rebellion by supporting the local distiller/farmers. Maybe
            >we've got something in our blood.
            >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "James" <gone2tx@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Rye whiskey seems to be making a comeback in the US. My
            > grandfather made and sold rye whiskey between 1895 and 1925 in
            > Pennsylvania. I have some of his handwritten notebooks but there is
            > little detail about his recipes. My research suggests that one
            > should use about 70% rye, 25% rye malt and 5% barley malt. It is
            > also suggested that increasing the % of malted rye will favorably
            > increase the spirit flavor. My objective is to try to recreate a
            > rye whiskey similar to what my grandfather made.

            There used to be a document floating around that (I think) gave the
            bills (%ages of content) for most of the major corn based whiskeys
            and some ryes. I lost it somewhere during a computer blowup and
            never found it again. Perhaps it is in the archives somewhere?

            Derek
          • Eric Yendall
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 28, 2013

               Is that 2lbs of malted RYE?
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 28, 2013
                There is a 1937 text book -

                wal

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                > Jim,
                >
                > My 3-greats grandfather got himself in trouble in Pennsylvania (Berlin,
                > specifically, a rye-growing region, then) during the Whiskey Rebellion
                > by supporting the local distiller/farmers. Maybe we've got something in
                > our blood.
                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "James" <gone2tx@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Rye whiskey seems to be making a comeback in the US. My grandfather
                > made and sold rye whiskey between 1895 and 1925 in Pennsylvania. I have
                > some of his handwritten notebooks but there is little detail about his
                > recipes. My research suggests that one should use about 70% rye, 25% rye
                > malt and 5% barley malt. It is also suggested that increasing the % of
                > malted rye will favorably increase the spirit flavor. My objective is to
                > try to recreate a rye whiskey similar to what my grandfather made.
                > >
                > > My questions are...
                > > 1) Can I use all malted rye?
                > From a purely theoretical standpoint,that should work fine, I'm thinking
                > mostly about starch conversion and fermentation, and not the mechanical
                > considerations we hear about rye
                >
                > I'm sure this will cost more than unmalted rye but I can buy it in bulk
                > at a good price and I am willing to pay extra to make a good rye
                > whiskey. Is there a limit to how much malted rye one can use? Is there
                > an advantage to using all malted rye?
                > > 2) Will 5% malted barley provide enough enzymes to convert the
                > starches to sugar or do I need to add additional enzymes.
                > Although I've never worked with rye, I just looked up its diastatic
                > power, which seems to be similar to barley malt, so no, 5% isn't enough
                > to convert all the starches.
                > http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue1.3/hayden\
                > .html
                > > 3) Does anyone have a better recipe for rye or a good source for
                > recipes?
                > >
                > > Thanks in advance for your thoughts. Cheers,
                > >
                > > Jim

                > <http://www.kelleybarts.com/zymurgy-bob-books/making-fine-spirits/>

              • James Haller
                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 28, 2013
                  Thanks to Bob, Bluwater and Derek for your responses. The article on the issues with brewing with rye was an "eye opener" for me and will definitely affect my brewing technique. It looks like I will need to mash with much more water than normal because of the thicker mixture. This means starting with less grain. I'll probably add a lot of rice hulls to help prevent a stuck sparge and expect to spend more time in the sparging cycle. The ph also looks like it is something to watch. Bottom line - I think I'll start with a very small batch to see if it works. If anyone finds the reference mentioned about grain bills for rye distillers, please post directions to find it. Thanks again. Gone2tx
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 28, 2013
                    Here is one -

                    wal

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

                    > At 08:01 AM 3/27/2013, you wrote:
                    > >

                    > >Jim,
                    > >
                    > >My 3-greats grandfather got himself in trouble in Pennsylvania
                    > >(Berlin, specifically, a rye-growing region, then) during the
                    > >Whiskey Rebellion by supporting the local distiller/farmers. Maybe
                    > >we've got something in our blood.
                    > >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "James" <gone2tx@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Rye whiskey seems to be making a comeback in the US. My
                    > > grandfather made and sold rye whiskey between 1895 and 1925 in
                    > > Pennsylvania. I have some of his handwritten notebooks but there is
                    > > little detail about his recipes. My research suggests that one
                    > > should use about 70% rye, 25% rye malt and 5% barley malt. It is
                    > > also suggested that increasing the % of malted rye will favorably
                    > > increase the spirit flavor. My objective is to try to recreate a
                    > > rye whiskey similar to what my grandfather made.
                    >
                    > There used to be a document floating around that (I think) gave the
                    > bills (%ages of content) for most of the major corn based whiskeys
                    > and some ryes. I lost it somewhere during a computer blowup and
                    > never found it again. Perhaps it is in the archives somewhere?
                    >

                    > Derek

                  • bluwater2828
                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 28, 2013
                      I purchase a brewers grade of flaked rye.

                      Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

                        I use a 70% 30% mix field rye and corn meal and prepare a 85 to 90 deg C water to soak in. I use a water that is modified with gypsum to add calcium to harden the water and add calcium for the starch conversion process. I use a cocktail of Alpha and Gluco Amalase Enzyme which breaks the starched down very nicely, but yes makes a very sticky glutinous wort. Prior to distillation I add a anti foaming agent that I get from one of the big suppliers and it does a great job of controlling the foaming problem. Of course you have a sticky end product after distillation but it cleans up OK with alot of water.  I use a 2 lb grain mix per gallon, which comes 1050 to 1060 sg. to much more grain makes a messy wort

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
                          Another 2 -

                          wal

                          > Here is one -

                          > wal
                          >
                          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > At 08:01 AM 3/27/2013, you wrote:
                          > > >

                          > > >Jim,
                          > > >
                          > > >My 3-greats grandfather got himself in trouble in Pennsylvania
                          > > >(Berlin, specifically, a rye-growing region, then) during the
                          > > >Whiskey Rebellion by supporting the local distiller/farmers. Maybe
                          > > >we've got something in our blood.

                          > > > grandfather made and sold rye whiskey between 1895 and 1925 in
                          > > > Pennsylvania. I have some of his handwritten notebooks but there is
                          > > > little detail about his recipes. My research suggests that one
                          > > > should use about 70% rye, 25% rye malt and 5% barley malt. It is
                          > > > also suggested that increasing the % of malted rye will favorably
                          > > > increase the spirit flavor. My objective is to try to recreate a
                          > > > rye whiskey similar to what my grandfather made.
                          > >
                          > > There used to be a document floating around that (I think) gave the
                          > > bills (%ages of content) for most of the major corn based whiskeys
                          > > and some ryes. I lost it somewhere during a computer blowup and
                          > > never found it again. Perhaps it is in the archives somewhere?
                          > >

                          > > Derek

                        • bluwater2828
                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
                            I add citric acid to my water. I've tried different ph and 5.8 to just a bit over 6 seems to work best. I hot mash my rye and barley. Grain only makes the best but a half grain half dextrose gives me a nicer easier time separating the wash as I just pour into cheese cloth and hand squeeze. I tried a bearing press and several other contraptions but never could get what I want... Did get some spectacular messes though lol. Some day I plan to try some sort of spin cycle setup. I usually look for about 15 to 20 gals of wash out of a 35 gal mash which is leaveing allot in but it's all I need. I use a whiskey yeast. My coloumb setup makes a mostly neutral distillate. Have tried many times to just pot still it but always ended up skunky .

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013

                              > Another 2 -

                              > wal

                              I recently received this from a member (thanks Bill).

                              A photocopy page from yhe old Seagrams Canada Distillery manual
                              Good info.  Wish I had more...

                              seagrams manual p48-49

                            • henry sangret
                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 29, 2013
                                I ferment and distill on the grain like they all used to do.  Some grains like rye, corn, wheat and a few others are ok for a grain ferment.
[...]

                              • pint_o_shine
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 30, 2013
                                  I sell beta-glucanase which will break the viscosity and increase the yield of rye based wort. It thins it enough to allow some sparging.
                                  enzymash.com

                                  Message 16 of 17 , Apr 4, 2013
                                    Many thanks to all who posted a response to my questions. The goal of this posting, gathering good practical advise from experienced distillers on the best methods for making rye, was met. I'll let you know in a few months how things turned out. Cheers, Jim

                                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Derek Hamlet <derekhamlet@...> wrote:

                                    > At 08:01 AM 3/27/2013, you wrote:
                                    > >

                                    > >Jim,
                                    > >
                                    > >My 3-greats grandfather got himself in trouble in Pennsylvania
                                    > >(Berlin, specifically, a rye-growing region, then) during the
                                    > >Whiskey Rebellion by supporting the local distiller/farmers. Maybe
                                    > >we've got something in our blood.
                                    > >--- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "James" <gone2tx@> wrote:
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Rye whiskey seems to be making a comeback in the US. My
                                    > > grandfather made and sold rye whiskey between 1895 and 1925 in
                                    > > Pennsylvania. I have some of his handwritten notebooks but there is
                                    > > little detail about his recipes. My research suggests that one
                                    > > should use about 70% rye, 25% rye malt and 5% barley malt. It is
                                    > > also suggested that increasing the % of malted rye will favorably
                                    > > increase the spirit flavor. My objective is to try to recreate a
                                    > > rye whiskey similar to what my grandfather made.
                                    >
                                    > There used to be a document floating around that (I think) gave the
                                    > bills (%ages of content) for most of the major corn based whiskeys
                                    > and some ryes. I lost it somewhere during a computer blowup and
                                    > never found it again. Perhaps it is in the archives somewhere?
                                    >

                                    > Derek

                                  • eyendall
                                    Message 17 of 17 , Apr 8, 2013
                                      I have been able to locate a copy of this Seagrams manual in a museum and have asked to have it photocopied. I have a copy of the table of contents which I can post if someone walks me through uploading a file to the group.