Re: Graham condenser or liebeg condenser

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
      Henry,

      Any idea as to what kinds of carbon compounds are deposited on the copper? The chemistry of flavors is a big interest of mine.

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
          I have no way of analyzing them , I do know that it has been discussed on several professional levels, and the hydrocarbons vary with fermentation yeasts and type of worts.

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
            that's why I use straight sections of tubing with taps or couplings to get at each straight section. I have tried numerous tines to use liquid cleaners with no success, yes they remove some of the surface contaminates but they don't remove the sulfides and imbedded hydrocarbons.

            I have seen laboratory cleaners that are basically many scrub brushes on a cord and are very flexible to get into hard to reach areas.

            --- In mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com, henry sangret <henrysangret@...> wrote:

            > Just remember all users is that your condensers must be physically cleaned, (with a brush not soaked) quite frequently when using copper because of sulfur and carbon deposits!. An easy design is easy to clean and produces no strange off flavors that are hard to remove when cleaned frequiently.
            >

            > SNIP

          • bluwater2828
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
              Vegemite ?? No that's different

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
                Try a gun cleaning kit. I use a shotgun cleaning snake.