Re: [Distillers] Re: Graham condenser or liebeg condenser

  • henry sangret
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
      Yes you can buy sil-phos brazing solder that does not contain cadmium, its just harder to use because of the higher temps required.

      I use copper because it helps clean the distillate of sulfides and unwanted carbon compounds. Even the larger distilleries that have stainless stills know the benefits of commer on flavor and have removable copper plates in their stills. Yes you must clean copper more frequently but I believe it makes a cleaned distillate. I use a straight through Liebeg design that has an internal baffle that can be disassembled for cleaning with ordinary tube brushes.

      From: Timothy C Smoth <timothyc.smith@...>
      To: "Distillers@yahoogroups.com" <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Tuesday, 26, March, 2013, 2:28 AM

      I'm using a Liebig. It also is 1/2" inside 3/4". I think 24" is fairly standard length. I built mine long. 36" between the cooling water tee's. I can run the cooling water quite slow on the stove top still. That model has a 3/4" copper riser running through a tee, out the side to a 45° and then to the condenser. The top of the tee has a thermometer port..
      On the keg still I run 2". A pot still with no thermometer and also a Bok. I use the same Liebig on them. I don't have to run the recirculation pump to fast here either. Hardly at all on the Bok. its only a product chiller before the parrot. Unless I turn the heat up too much on the big pot. But that just forces more water to jump.
      I still end up using the same amount of heat transfer as though I was running a shorter one. I just don't have to turn the pump control up as high.
      I've never used a gram condenser. I think I'll try to make on and test it out.

      Sent from Tim's iPhone

    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 25, 2013
        Henry,

        Any idea as to what kinds of carbon compounds are deposited on the copper? The chemistry of flavors is a big interest of mine.

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
            I have no way of analyzing them , I do know that it has been discussed on several professional levels, and the hydrocarbons vary with fermentation yeasts and type of worts.

            Any idea as to what kinds of carbon compounds are deposited on the copper? The chemistry of flavors is a big interest of mine.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, henry sangret <henrysangret@...> wrote:

            > Yes you can buy sil-phos brazing solder that does not contain cadmium, its just harder to use because of the higher temps required.
            >
            > I use copper because it helps clean the distillate of sulfides and unwanted carbon compounds. Even the larger distilleries that have stainless stills know the benefits of commer on flavor and have removable copper plates in their stills. Yes you must clean copper more frequently but I believe it makes a cleaned distillate. I use a straight through Liebeg design that has an internal baffle that can be disassembled for cleaning with ordinary tube brushes.

            ----snip----
          • henry sangret
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
              that's why I use straight sections of tubing with taps or couplings to get at each straight section. I have tried numerous tines to use liquid cleaners with no success, yes they remove some of the surface contaminates but they don't remove the sulfides and imbedded hydrocarbons.

              I have seen laboratory cleaners that are basically many scrub brushes on a cord and are very flexible to get into hard to reach areas.

              --- In mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com, henry sangret <henrysangret@...> wrote:

              > Just remember all users is that your condensers must be physically cleaned, (with a brush not soaked) quite frequently when using copper because of sulfur and carbon deposits!. An easy design is easy to clean and produces no strange off flavors that are hard to remove when cleaned frequiently.
              >

              > SNIP

            • bluwater2828
              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
                Vegemite ?? No that's different

                Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 26, 2013
                  Try a gun cleaning kit. I use a shotgun cleaning snake.