Re: [Distillers] Re: Graham condenser or liebeg condenser

  • henry sangret
    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 25 2:12 PM
      I agree with what you found. I have further increased my efficiency using stainless compression springs that I put inside the waterjacket prior to seailing it up and that causes the water to swirl in the condenser eliminating any hot spots. I also put a spring inside the condenser tube which does the same thing and eliminates the ocassional surges you get in the vapor.

      I also put a coupeling between the condenser and the output tube for disasembly and cleaning with a brush which should be done after EVERY first distillation to remove the sulfide and carbonacious deposits. Alot of people dont clean and complain about strange off flavors!

      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 25 2:25 PM
        Just remember all users is that your condensers must be physically cleaned, (with a brush not soaked) quite frequently when using copper because of sulfur and carbon deposits!. An easy design is easy to clean and produces no strange off flavors that are hard to remove when cleaned frequiently.

        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 25 3:44 PM
          Yes you can buy sil-phos brazing solder that does not contain cadmium, its just harder to use because of the higher temps required.

          I use copper because it helps clean the distillate of sulfides and unwanted carbon compounds. Even the larger distilleries that have stainless stills know the benefits of commer on flavor and have removable copper plates in their stills. Yes you must clean copper more frequently but I believe it makes a cleaned distillate. I use a straight through Liebeg design that has an internal baffle that can be disassembled for cleaning with ordinary tube brushes.

          A contact told me he avoids copper because it develops deposits that must be cleaned out every time it is used. Is that true? I was thinking of developing a coil heat exchanger/condenser out of two sizes of refrigeration tubing soldered together, or maybe coil tube-in-tube style. But if the cleaning is problematic, that may not be practical.

          By the way, can anyone please explain the objection to using ordinary silphos brazing solder? - does it contain cadmium? It's just that plumbers use and have used it for many years with no problems.

          Thanks for your help.
          Paul

          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 25 10:02 PM
            Henry,

            Any idea as to what kinds of carbon compounds are deposited on the copper? The chemistry of flavors is a big interest of mine.

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 26 7:36 AM
                I have no way of analyzing them , I do know that it has been discussed on several professional levels, and the hydrocarbons vary with fermentation yeasts and type of worts.

                Any idea as to what kinds of carbon compounds are deposited on the copper? The chemistry of flavors is a big interest of mine.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, henry sangret <henrysangret@...> wrote:

                > Yes you can buy sil-phos brazing solder that does not contain cadmium, its just harder to use because of the higher temps required.
                >
                > I use copper because it helps clean the distillate of sulfides and unwanted carbon compounds. Even the larger distilleries that have stainless stills know the benefits of commer on flavor and have removable copper plates in their stills. Yes you must clean copper more frequently but I believe it makes a cleaned distillate. I use a straight through Liebeg design that has an internal baffle that can be disassembled for cleaning with ordinary tube brushes.

                ----snip----
              • henry sangret
                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 26 10:00 AM
                  that's why I use straight sections of tubing with taps or couplings to get at each straight section. I have tried numerous tines to use liquid cleaners with no success, yes they remove some of the surface contaminates but they don't remove the sulfides and imbedded hydrocarbons.

                  I have seen laboratory cleaners that are basically many scrub brushes on a cord and are very flexible to get into hard to reach areas.

                  --- In mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com, henry sangret <henrysangret@...> wrote:

                  > Just remember all users is that your condensers must be physically cleaned, (with a brush not soaked) quite frequently when using copper because of sulfur and carbon deposits!. An easy design is easy to clean and produces no strange off flavors that are hard to remove when cleaned frequiently.
                  >

                  > SNIP

                • bluwater2828
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 26 11:37 AM
                    Vegemite ?? No that's different

                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 26 3:37 PM
                      Try a gun cleaning kit. I use a shotgun cleaning snake.