Re: [Distillers] Increased %

  • DAVID REID
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 3, 2000
      Dean, Tony, et al,
      Will reply to you all when I get time. By
      making these improvements and adjustments you have learn something about
      proper distillation and a little about purity. Yes there is better packing
      but it costs. The old story you get what you pay for. Dean yes you will
      increase both the % and the purity a littleby adding the extension to the
      column on this particular model. All in the meantime.
      B.r., David Reid

      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 3, 2000
        I've just had a similar experience to what Dean has had using SS wool. I've
        finally had the chance to run one of my standard sugar/water brews through
        the still, using the reflux as intended (none of this replumbing for pot
        operation), eg able to compare it to my usual runs.

        I've finally got around to stuffing a couple of scrubbers above & below the
        (single) marble that it usually has. I had the cooling water running a
        little faster than usual too. Purity lifted from 75% to 80%, with little
        extra time taken. The added bonus was finally seeing what Gert Strand & co
        talk about - the still basically stopped dripping once the alcohol finished
        - I left it running to see what tails i could collect, and only got about 20
        - 30 mL in the last 1/2 hour (usually 1L/hour).

        Tony