Re: [Distillers] EC-1118 turbo yeast without the heat

  • Fredrick Lee
    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 23 2:06 PM
      The massive growth on the surface, what did it look like? Dusty or waxy bubbles? Or were they fluffy and foamy?

      On Mar 23, 2013, at 4:04 PM, "last2blast" <last2blast@...> wrote:

      After a 5 gallon batch of sugar wash had stalled, I wondered if the EC-1118 yeast in the bottom was still good to re-use as a starter for another batch without re-pitching yeast.

      1 gallon of warmish water right out of the tap was placed in bucket
      1.5 lbs of sugar was added.
      5 tbsp of DAP
      0.25 cup of lemon juice
      1 multivitamin

      stirred and loosely covered with lid.

      Nothing seemed to be happening a day later, so it was stirred again. On the second day massive yeast growth was viewed on its surface. It was stirred again to mix yeast into wash. The next day my wash was bubbling hard. I didn't want to use it again for sugar wash, so other ingredients were added .

      3 gal of warmish tap water was added
      5 lbs of sugar
      6 - 14 oz cans of cream corn
      5 tbsp of DAP
      0.25 cup of lemon juice

      And then filled up to the 5 gal mark.

      By the next day, it was bubbling hard with huge bubbles, and the best part is that it isn't warm to the touch.

      My only unanswered question: Can my EC-1118 turbo yeast be used to start a third batch?

      Robert

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 23 2:38 PM
        Lee:

        Most of the surface look waxy 70%, and about 30% is covered with a white foam, so what is the prognosis?  Also, about a can of corn is floating on its surface.  Tomorrow, I well remove floating canned corn and add a few lbs. of sugar.  The wash it's self is a cream color.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 23 5:09 PM
          If its waxy and has large dry bubbles it's almost certainly infected. It will still ferment and make lots of alcohol, just slow and not very tasty.

          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 23 5:22 PM
            What do all the other types of fermentation tops indicate?
            JH

            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 23 7:01 PM
              White foam area started out the size of a 50 cent piece and now it's covering 50% of its surface area in one day and growing.  These are still experiment, so time will tell if it's infected, but I stopped worrying about sanity conditions and bacteria months ago because experience is more important.

              A fresh control batch will be started using sanitary conditions and airlock to duplicate and prove that my EC-1118 Turbo does not cause excess heat.  I have fermented many times, but this is a first that there has ever been this amount of bubbling from any batch.

              Robert

              If its waxy and has large dry bubbles it's almost certainly infected. It will still ferment and make lots of alcohol, just slow and not very tasty.

            • joe giffen
              Message 6 of 20 , Mar 23 10:05 PM
                Hi,
                Should this not be in 'New Distillers'?

                Joe

                Message 7 of 20 , Mar 23 10:17 PM
                  Okay, you're not interested in Turbo yeast that don't not have a heat problem, but others might be interested in a low heat Turbo yeast.  That was the intent of this post.

                  Robert

                    Message 9 of 20 , Mar 24 12:13 AM
                      Robert

                      The problem is that you don't really seem to be interested in producing a good quality product using well proven and accepted distillation practices. Your comments and monotonous  'experiments'  almost indicate a refusal or reluctance to go back to basics and become familiar and confident in the bare basics of distillation practice. It really is quite a simple process...why try and make it so complicated?
                      I used to enjoy this forum...it was informative and interesting...am I the only one getting frustrated here?

                      Message 10 of 20 , Mar 24 2:36 AM
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

                        > Too many post
                        > Joe
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                        yes this uninformed nonsense of Robert's should be removed by the Moderators and Robert banished to New Distillers - waste of bandwidth.
                      • Fredrick Lee
                        Message 11 of 20 , Mar 24 7:54 AM
                          What I know:  generally ale strains form fluffy and creamy light krausens and they are thick, almost like bread dough sometimes. Lager strains make a thin creamier krausen, or sometimes barely anything, some wild yeast strains form slimy soapy heads, and most other bacteria, esp brettanomyces will make a dusty and dry pellicle to keep o2 out. Lacto sometimes looks like white floaty spots, Pedio gets lumpy, dusty and ropey, but honestly, I've see different pellicles form from the same strain. I'm not sure exactly why, but it probably has a lot to do with the environment, ingredients and time and temperature.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Mar 24 9:14 AM
                            Better to not confuse a bunch of newbies with unproven, experimental stuff.
                            It's hard enough to get the majority of learners to do the "right stuff" in the first place.

                            Sent from Tim's iPhone
                          • fatbloke
                            Message 13 of 20 , Mar 24 9:26 AM
                              Equally, it may also be better to use the correct nomenclature.

                              I have absolutely no idea what yeast strain is routinely sold as "turbo" yeast, but it certainly isnt EC-1118.  That is the Lalvin (Lallemand) designator for a champagne yeast strain. For appropriate guidance on its use you only really need to google for it. There is plenty of guidance on appropriate gravities, as well as likely nutritional requirements when using it with non-grape musts......

                              Timothy C Smoth <timothyc.smith@...> wrote:

                              Better to not confuse a bunch of newbies with unproven, experimental stuff.
                              It's hard enough to get the majority of learners to do the "right stuff" in the first place.

                              Sent from Tim's iPhone

                            • tgfoitwoods
                              Message 14 of 20 , Mar 24 10:23 AM
                                No, Desross, you're not the only one getting frustrated.

                                I firmly believe that moderation, at least with respect to "new ideas" should be light-handed, or valid paths of investigation could be stifled. That light-handedness relies on listers espousing "new ideas" gaining basic knowledge of the principles we all work with, before taking long excursions from known solid ground.

                                Robert, it hurts me to say that every time you post you display even more gaps in that basic knowledge, which gives every new theory of yours a wildness that is destroying the friendly functioning of the forum.

                                As an example, turbo yeast is not just yeast; it's a combination of genetically-modified Frankenyeast and a huge load of yeast stimulants and nutrients. It's a quick way to get a bad-tasting ferment, and it can't be farmed, because the yeast only (what you culture by farming) does not behave anything like the original mixture that comes out of the turbo packet.

                                One more time, I'd like to ask you to study the basics, and before you pull something out of your...imagination... read,learn, and know.

                                We're very close to the point where we're going to have to choose between you and the Distiller's list continuity, and I'd hate to see it. Help me out?

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Desross <djross@...> wrote:

                                > Robert
                                >
                                > The problem is that you don't really seem to be interested in producing a good quality product using well proven and accepted distillation practices. Your comments and monotonous 'experiments' almost indicate a refusal or reluctance to go back to basics and become familiar and confident in the bare basics of distillation practice. It really is quite a simple process...why try and make it so complicated?
                                > I used to enjoy this forum...it was informative and interesting...am I the only one getting frustrated here?
                                >

                                > On 24/03/2013, at 6:17 PM, RLB last2blast@... wrote:
                                >
                                > > Okay, you're not interested in Turbo yeast that don't not have a heat problem, but others might be interested in a low heat Turbo yeast. That was the intent of this post.
                                > >
                                > > Robert

                              • joe giffen
                                Message 15 of 20 , Mar 24 10:25 AM
                                  Hi,
                                  You certainly are  not the only one.This clown has been given the run of the forum. In about 2 weeks with over 30 posts he has announced ludicrous plans and given his opinion on everything. I doubt he has ever made anything.

                                  Regards
                                  Joe
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Mar 24 10:40 AM
                                    djross-
                                      By the sound of most of these posts, you're not the only one getting frustrated or are we a group of two???  I would like to get back to the distillation forum, which door do I run through??

                                    I am fermenting out some bread wash at the moment.  A friend gifted me with two pounds of white, unseasoned bread crumbs a while ago and I wanted to see what would happen if I made a wash from it
                                    So...

                                    1 lb white unseasoned bread crumbs
                                    3-gallons water (1-gallon reserved after boing)
                                    7 lbs white sugar
                                    1-quart 2% milk
                                    2 ozs Red Starr yeast

                                      Boiled 3-gallons water and reserved 1 for sparging (pouring over the cooked and strained BCs.  Added the BCs to the remaining 2-gallons of water and simmered for 20-minutes.  Strained out the BCs and poured the 1-gallon of water over it, let drain overnight.
                                      Tranferred the now 2-1/2 gallons of Bread-water to a cooker and added the quart of 2%, raised the tempreture to 120°F and added the white sugar to dissolve.
                                      LeTopped off with 3-1/2 gallons water and took the specific gravity (1.042) pitched the 2ozs Red Starr after blooming in a bit of wash for 30-minutes, and aerated it for 1-hour.    It is now bubbling happily away in an uncapped fermentation bucket.  As soon as it settles a bit I will put the airlock in place.  We'll see what happens in a few days or so.
                                    WB

                                        Exactly, Since I don't like using lemon juice as it is an antibacteriant, the lactic acid seems to give the wash the boost it needs to ferment quite nicely.  It is still going well with no chocking or stall whatsoever.  I will check the ABV in a few days to see where it is but it is starting to taste a bit "bitter" which is a good thing.
                                        WB

                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 25 9:48 PM
                                          Good read.  http://turbo-yeast.com/all-about-temperature/