Re: [Distillers] Re: TTB Cuts

  • Angelis
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 19 7:40 PM
      I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?

      Michael

      On Mar 19, 2013, at 8:35 PM, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

      Thanks, Dale,

      I can relax now.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@...> wrote:

      > You're right, it was sold by Powell's. Bought in my name.  Est. delivery 3/15 - 4/01.  Should be arriving any day now.

      ----snip----

    • jsducote
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 20 7:46 AM
        Do you mean that you're having trouble winding the coil tight enough without kinking to use a 2" pipe as the water cooling jacket? If so, why limit yourself to 2"? The water jacket pipe will not come into contact with your wash/distillate, so you can use any material. PVC is readily available in much larger diams.
        -j

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Angelis <angelis1972@...> wrote:

        > I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?
        >
        > Michael
      • Angelis
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 20 10:42 AM
          Didn't even think about using PVC. Was not sure how it would hold up

          Michael

          On Mar 20, 2013, at 10:46 AM, "jsducote" <forlorntexan@...> wrote:

          Do you mean that you're having trouble winding the coil tight enough without kinking to use a 2" pipe as the water cooling jacket? If so, why limit yourself to 2"? The water jacket pipe will not come into contact with your wash/distillate, so you can use any material. PVC is readily available in much larger diams.
          -j

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Angelis <angelis1972@...> wrote:

          > I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?
          >
          > Michael

        • girlguidebiscuit
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 20 1:59 PM
            This pdf will help you. It helped me. http://homedistiller.org/forum/download/file.php?id=20214

            Do you mean that you're having trouble winding the coil tight enough without kinking to use a 2" pipe as the water cooling jacket? If so, why limit yourself to 2"? The water jacket pipe will not come into contact with your wash/distillate, so you can use any material. PVC is readily available in much larger diams.
            -j
            _._,___

          • RLB
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 20 3:14 PM
              Be very careful.  Water and steam will be 200+ and plastic melts 250 to 285, so a nick might cause a leak in that soft plastic.

              Robert

              Didn't even think about using PVC. Was not sure how it would hold up

              Michael

            • doug.hood
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 20 3:17 PM
                I made a condenser using 1/4 inch copper. To keep it from kinking, I bought the copper in a coil, unrolled it, taped one end and filled it with salt. I then wrapped it around a pipe, the notched a bigger pipe, slid the bigger pipe over my inside coil and wrapped it back the other way. I then flared on the connections and hooked it up to the water hose. It took about three hours to sit there under pressure before it dissolved the salt and shot a stream of water out the other side. I came out nice, fits inside my 2" still and works well.
                Doug

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Angelis <angelis1972@...> wrote:

                > I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?
                >
                > Michael
                >
                > On Mar 19, 2013, at 8:35 PM, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
                >
                > > Thanks, Dale,
                > >
                > > I can relax now.
                > >
                > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits
                > >
                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > You're right, it was sold by Powell's. Bought in my name. Est. delivery 3/15 - 4/01. Should be arriving any day now.

              • jsducote
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 21 12:07 PM
                  According to plasticpipe.org, the maximum suggested temperature for PVC is 150F, while max temp for CPVC & PEX is 210F. But unless I'm envisaging the usage incorrectly, this is for a cooling jacket around the condenser line, not the condenser itself. Do your coolants reach either of those temps? The only point to worry about might be where the condenser enters the jacket, but that could be made with a rubber or cork bung instead of directly touching the jacket end-cap.
                  -j