Re: TTB Cuts

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
      Dale,

      Sorry to be harsh with you, but mis-handling methanol is one of the very very few ways in this hobby that you can kill yourself. We'd all be horrified to have one of ours come to harm.

      As for the book, I see now that Powell's is now also selling my book through Amazon, which gives us three possibilities. Either you bought my book from Powell's, or you bought Kelley B Arts using a name other than Dale Brinley, or we have a problem. Let me know, please.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@...> wrote:

      > Amazon, the order says it has shipped.  Also, for everyone who has responded to my previous comment, I should clarify.  In my short description, I omitted some steps.  Such as triple distilling and passing through a charcoal filter.  Along with previous cutting of the fore shots.  Perhaps my mistake was making some tongue in cheek comments.  I know the dangers of methanol and all the other nasty things that come in the fore shots. What I didn't count on was all the vitriolic comments.  I'm sure everyone is aware that there are infinite numbers of ways to enhance or detract from the flavor.  I know enough to stay away from those things that are unsafe.  So, to all those with constructive comments, thanks.  To those who only had negative comments against me personally, lighten up.  Don't take yourself so seriously.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
        He might have purchased a used book.

        Robert

        Sorry to be harsh with you, but mis-handling methanol is one of the very very few ways in this hobby that you can kill yourself. We'd all be horrified to have one of ours come to harm.

        As for the book, I see now that Powell's is now also selling my book through Amazon, which gives us three possibilities. Either you bought my book from Powell's, or you bought Kelley B Arts using a name other than Dale Brinley, or we have a problem. Let me know, please.

      • Dale Brinley
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
          You're right, it was sold by Powell's. Bought in my name.  Est. delivery 3/15 - 4/01.  Should be arriving any day now.

          Sorry to be harsh with you, but mis-handling methanol is one of the very very few ways in this hobby that you can kill yourself. We'd all be horrified to have one of ours come to harm.

          As for the book, I see now that Powell's is now also selling my book through Amazon, which gives us three possibilities. Either you bought my book from Powell's, or you bought Kelley B Arts using a name other than Dale Brinley, or we have a problem. Let me know, please.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@...> wrote:

          > Amazon, the order says it has shipped.  Also, for everyone who has responded to my previous comment, I should clarify.  In my short description, I omitted some steps.  Such as triple distilling and passing through a charcoal filter.  Along with previous cutting of the fore shots.  Perhaps my mistake was making some tongue in cheek comments.  I know the dangers of methanol and all the other nasty things that come in the fore shots. What I didn't count on was all the vitriolic comments.  I'm sure everyone is aware that there are infinite numbers of ways to enhance or detract from the flavor.  I know enough to stay away from those things that are unsafe.  So, to all those with constructive comments, thanks.  To those who only had negative comments against me personally, lighten up.  Don't take yourself so seriously.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
            Thanks, Dale,

            I can relax now.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@...> wrote:

            > You're right, it was sold by Powell's. Bought in my name.  Est. delivery 3/15 - 4/01.  Should be arriving any day now.

            ----snip----
          • Angelis
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
              I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?

              Michael

              On Mar 19, 2013, at 8:35 PM, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

              Thanks, Dale,

              I can relax now.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@...> wrote:

              > You're right, it was sold by Powell's. Bought in my name.  Est. delivery 3/15 - 4/01.  Should be arriving any day now.

              ----snip----

            • jsducote
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 20, 2013
                Do you mean that you're having trouble winding the coil tight enough without kinking to use a 2" pipe as the water cooling jacket? If so, why limit yourself to 2"? The water jacket pipe will not come into contact with your wash/distillate, so you can use any material. PVC is readily available in much larger diams.
                -j

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Angelis <angelis1972@...> wrote:

                > I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?
                >
                > Michael
              • Angelis
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 20, 2013
                  Didn't even think about using PVC. Was not sure how it would hold up

                  Michael

                  On Mar 20, 2013, at 10:46 AM, "jsducote" <forlorntexan@...> wrote:

                  Do you mean that you're having trouble winding the coil tight enough without kinking to use a 2" pipe as the water cooling jacket? If so, why limit yourself to 2"? The water jacket pipe will not come into contact with your wash/distillate, so you can use any material. PVC is readily available in much larger diams.
                  -j

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Angelis <angelis1972@...> wrote:

                  > I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?
                  >
                  > Michael

                • girlguidebiscuit
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 20, 2013
                    This pdf will help you. It helped me. http://homedistiller.org/forum/download/file.php?id=20214

                    Do you mean that you're having trouble winding the coil tight enough without kinking to use a 2" pipe as the water cooling jacket? If so, why limit yourself to 2"? The water jacket pipe will not come into contact with your wash/distillate, so you can use any material. PVC is readily available in much larger diams.
                    -j
                    _._,___

                  • RLB
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 20, 2013
                      Be very careful.  Water and steam will be 200+ and plastic melts 250 to 285, so a nick might cause a leak in that soft plastic.

                      Robert

                      Didn't even think about using PVC. Was not sure how it would hold up

                      Michael

                    • doug.hood
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 20, 2013
                        I made a condenser using 1/4 inch copper. To keep it from kinking, I bought the copper in a coil, unrolled it, taped one end and filled it with salt. I then wrapped it around a pipe, the notched a bigger pipe, slid the bigger pipe over my inside coil and wrapped it back the other way. I then flared on the connections and hooked it up to the water hose. It took about three hours to sit there under pressure before it dissolved the salt and shot a stream of water out the other side. I came out nice, fits inside my 2" still and works well.
                        Doug

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Angelis <angelis1972@...> wrote:

                        > I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?
                        >
                        > Michael
                        >
                        > On Mar 19, 2013, at 8:35 PM, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Thanks, Dale,
                        > >
                        > > I can relax now.
                        > >
                        > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits
                        > >
                        > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > You're right, it was sold by Powell's. Bought in my name. Est. delivery 3/15 - 4/01. Should be arriving any day now.

                      • jsducote
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 21, 2013
                          According to plasticpipe.org, the maximum suggested temperature for PVC is 150F, while max temp for CPVC & PEX is 210F. But unless I'm envisaging the usage incorrectly, this is for a cooling jacket around the condenser line, not the condenser itself. Do your coolants reach either of those temps? The only point to worry about might be where the condenser enters the jacket, but that could be made with a rubber or cork bung instead of directly touching the jacket end-cap.
                          -j