Re: [Distillers] Re: TTB Cuts

  • Dale Brinley
    Message 1 of 26 , Mar 18, 2013
      Thanks for the info, I don't add methanol to my liquor.   I guess I didn't word my response very well.  I ordered your book, by the way.  Still waiting for it.

      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 18, 2013
        Dale,

        Did you order my book from me at Kelley B Arts, or me at Amazon? I've gone back looking at orders from the last 3 months for both, and I don't see your name. I surely don't want to leave someone waiting who has ordered the book.

        Please let me know.

        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
          Methanol can make you blind and even kill. Propanol will give you a headache.
          wal

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@...> wrote:

          > This is my first reply and response to this group.  So, have mercy on me. As far as taste, I've been reading a lot of comments and picking up a lot of useful information. (Even bad information is useful) I've been able to convert my "corn wine" to a tasty  drink using my son as a taster.  His criteria is "if it doesn't cause me to make a face, it's pretty good".  My distilled "corn wine" is quite smooth and doesn't cause a face, and I can verify that. I use a pH balancer and corn meal and sugar and a good whiskey yeast and pour all the slop back into the mash and re-use it. The more I slop back (is that a proper term?), the better it gets.  The taste, straight up, with no ice, is better than I've ever tasted.  I don't cut out the fore shots or the end.  Having read about the Europeans who add methanol to their drinks for flavor, I though, why not, let's get creative. I've read that methanol is poison, which is true, but that ethanol is an antidote
          > for methanol poisoning.  Too much methanol in a drink will give you a head ache, but just the right amount adds flavor.
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Dale Brinley
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
            Amazon, the order says it has shipped.  Also, for everyone who has responded to my previous comment, I should clarify.  In my short description, I omitted some steps.  Such as triple distilling and passing through a charcoal filter.  Along with previous cutting of the fore shots.  Perhaps my mistake was making some tongue in cheek comments.  I know the dangers of methanol and all the other nasty things that come in the fore shots. What I didn't count on was all the vitriolic comments.  I'm sure everyone is aware that there are infinite numbers of ways to enhance or detract from the flavor.  I know enough to stay away from those things that are unsafe.  So, to all those with constructive comments, thanks.  To those who only had negative comments against me personally, lighten up.  Don't take yourself so seriously.

            Did you order my book from me at Kelley B Arts, or me at Amazon? I've gone back looking at orders from the last 3 months for both, and I don't see your name. I surely don't want to leave someone waiting who has ordered the book.

            Please let me know.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the info, I don't add methanol to my liquor.   I guess I didn't word my response very well.  I ordered your book, by the way.  Still waiting for it.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • tgfoitwoods
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
              Dale,

              Sorry to be harsh with you, but mis-handling methanol is one of the very very few ways in this hobby that you can kill yourself. We'd all be horrified to have one of ours come to harm.

              As for the book, I see now that Powell's is now also selling my book through Amazon, which gives us three possibilities. Either you bought my book from Powell's, or you bought Kelley B Arts using a name other than Dale Brinley, or we have a problem. Let me know, please.

            • RLB
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
                He might have purchased a used book.

                Robert

                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
                  You're right, it was sold by Powell's. Bought in my name.  Est. delivery 3/15 - 4/01.  Should be arriving any day now.

                  Sorry to be harsh with you, but mis-handling methanol is one of the very very few ways in this hobby that you can kill yourself. We'd all be horrified to have one of ours come to harm.

                  As for the book, I see now that Powell's is now also selling my book through Amazon, which gives us three possibilities. Either you bought my book from Powell's, or you bought Kelley B Arts using a name other than Dale Brinley, or we have a problem. Let me know, please.

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@...> wrote:

                  > Amazon, the order says it has shipped.  Also, for everyone who has responded to my previous comment, I should clarify.  In my short description, I omitted some steps.  Such as triple distilling and passing through a charcoal filter.  Along with previous cutting of the fore shots.  Perhaps my mistake was making some tongue in cheek comments.  I know the dangers of methanol and all the other nasty things that come in the fore shots. What I didn't count on was all the vitriolic comments.  I'm sure everyone is aware that there are infinite numbers of ways to enhance or detract from the flavor.  I know enough to stay away from those things that are unsafe.  So, to all those with constructive comments, thanks.  To those who only had negative comments against me personally, lighten up.  Don't take yourself so seriously.
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                • tgfoitwoods
                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
                    Thanks, Dale,

                    I can relax now.

                    --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@...> wrote:

                    > You're right, it was sold by Powell's. Bought in my name.  Est. delivery 3/15 - 4/01.  Should be arriving any day now.

                    ----snip----
                  • Angelis
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 19, 2013
                      I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?

                      Michael

                      On Mar 19, 2013, at 8:35 PM, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                      Thanks, Dale,

                      I can relax now.

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@...> wrote:

                      > You're right, it was sold by Powell's. Bought in my name.  Est. delivery 3/15 - 4/01.  Should be arriving any day now.

                      ----snip----

                    • jsducote
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 20, 2013
                        Do you mean that you're having trouble winding the coil tight enough without kinking to use a 2" pipe as the water cooling jacket? If so, why limit yourself to 2"? The water jacket pipe will not come into contact with your wash/distillate, so you can use any material. PVC is readily available in much larger diams.
                        -j

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Angelis <angelis1972@...> wrote:

                        > I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?
                        >
                        > Michael
                      • Angelis
                        Message 11 of 26 , Mar 20, 2013
                          Didn't even think about using PVC. Was not sure how it would hold up

                          Michael

                          On Mar 20, 2013, at 10:46 AM, "jsducote" <forlorntexan@...> wrote:

                          Do you mean that you're having trouble winding the coil tight enough without kinking to use a 2" pipe as the water cooling jacket? If so, why limit yourself to 2"? The water jacket pipe will not come into contact with your wash/distillate, so you can use any material. PVC is readily available in much larger diams.
                          -j

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Angelis <angelis1972@...> wrote:

                          > I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?
                          >
                          > Michael

                        • girlguidebiscuit
                          Message 12 of 26 , Mar 20, 2013
                            This pdf will help you. It helped me. http://homedistiller.org/forum/download/file.php?id=20214

                            Do you mean that you're having trouble winding the coil tight enough without kinking to use a 2" pipe as the water cooling jacket? If so, why limit yourself to 2"? The water jacket pipe will not come into contact with your wash/distillate, so you can use any material. PVC is readily available in much larger diams.
                            -j
                            _._,___

                          • RLB
                            Message 13 of 26 , Mar 20, 2013
                              Be very careful.  Water and steam will be 200+ and plastic melts 250 to 285, so a nick might cause a leak in that soft plastic.

                              Robert

                              Didn't even think about using PVC. Was not sure how it would hold up

                              Michael

                            • doug.hood
                              Message 14 of 26 , Mar 20, 2013
                                I made a condenser using 1/4 inch copper. To keep it from kinking, I bought the copper in a coil, unrolled it, taped one end and filled it with salt. I then wrapped it around a pipe, the notched a bigger pipe, slid the bigger pipe over my inside coil and wrapped it back the other way. I then flared on the connections and hooked it up to the water hose. It took about three hours to sit there under pressure before it dissolved the salt and shot a stream of water out the other side. I came out nice, fits inside my 2" still and works well.
                                Doug

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Angelis <angelis1972@...> wrote:

                                > I'm trying to make a coil out of 3/8 tubing to fit into a 2 inch pipe but don't think I can get it to it. Can I use 1/4 in or is that too small?
                                >
                                > Michael
                                >
                                > On Mar 19, 2013, at 8:35 PM, "tgfoitwoods" <zymurgybob@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Thanks, Dale,
                                > >
                                > > I can relax now.
                                > >
                                > > Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller Making Fine Spirits
                                > >
                                > > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dale Brinley <dalebrinley@> wrote:
                                > > >
                                > > > You're right, it was sold by Powell's. Bought in my name. Est. delivery 3/15 - 4/01. Should be arriving any day now.

                              • jsducote
                                Message 15 of 26 , Mar 21, 2013
                                  According to plasticpipe.org, the maximum suggested temperature for PVC is 150F, while max temp for CPVC & PEX is 210F. But unless I'm envisaging the usage incorrectly, this is for a cooling jacket around the condenser line, not the condenser itself. Do your coolants reach either of those temps? The only point to worry about might be where the condenser enters the jacket, but that could be made with a rubber or cork bung instead of directly touching the jacket end-cap.
                                  -j