Re: [Distillers] Re: Air cooled still

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
      Actually, cuts are smell and taste, but you just mentioned a perfect way of blending heads, hearts, and tails.  Smearing only comes into play at the end of heads and the end of hearts.  Even thought old timers cringe at the mention of using temperature, I use temperature.  Otherwise, I would be constantly drunk from sniffing vapors and sipping 70 abv alcohol.  Drunk and operating still is a real bad idea.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
        Robert,

        I use a teaspoon, and collect about 3 drops when I'm tasting.  That way my saliva can dilute the high-proof stuff enough to keep from frying my taste buds, and I can stay sober during the run. I'll have to admit, though, that especially when I've got friends helping, there's a lot of laughter happening. Does any one else notice that stilling time is laughing time?

        I issue everyone a teaspoon when we start stilling day.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

        ----snip----  Even thought old timers cringe at the mention of using temperature, I use temperature.  Otherwise, I would be constantly drunk from sniffing vapors and sipping 70 abv alcohol.  Drunk and operating still is a real bad idea.

        > Robert

        ----snip----
      • Jeff Kimble
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
          For the same reason, I collect in 300ml increments in small canning jam jars. I number the jars in advance, cover with a paper towel and a rubber band.( some use coffee filters ) and mark each in my log with the head temp and ABV. I let it air overnight, and then convince my girlfriend, who has better nose and tastebuds than I to do the nose and teaspoon test.  Just like wine tasting, she spits it out.

          There's a lot of good beer that goes into making a batch of whisky, and similarly, a lot of good whiskey that goes into making a batch of beer.

          Enjoy

          On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

          Robert,

          I use a teaspoon, and collect about 3 drops when I'm tasting.  That way my saliva can dilute the high-proof stuff enough to keep from frying my taste buds, and I can stay sober during the run. I'll have to admit, though, that especially when I've got friends helping, there's a lot of laughter happening. Does any one else notice that stilling time is laughing time?

          I issue everyone a teaspoon when we start stilling day.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

          ----snip----  Even thought old timers cringe at the mention of using temperature, I use temperature.  Otherwise, I would be constantly drunk from sniffing vapors and sipping 70 abv alcohol.  Drunk and operating still is a real bad idea.

          > Robert

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
            Before my so called stainless steel pot failed a second time.  My still would drip from 140 to 183 or 4.  From 185 to 200 F, it would flow a steady stream.  I guess a glass eyedropper is needed to taste test it.  (It's true that alcohol destroys a plastic test tube because mine failed after 8 uses, they need glass ones.)

            Since, my old still failed twice in 3 months, I will have my next still built according to my specification, and it will use a self designed air cooled radiator made of copper pipe, aluminum fins, and a single fan.