Re: [Distillers] Re: Flash Distillation

  • Fredrick Lee
    Message 1 of 43 , Mar 13, 2013
      Completely off topic, my dad used to say that you should always weld a used gas tank full. I can't imagine that's safer than empty.

      On Mar 12, 2013, at 4:08 PM, "max_vino" <denisgrace@...> wrote:

      When Rob first proposed flash distillation he used it in the context of stripping. I assure you it will work in that manner. It will separate all the dead yeast cells, unreacted sugars, cat hairs etc. and will produce a product ready for fractional distillation.

      Rob: Some considerations:
      You will want to review what happens when you pull a vacuum and heat a gas. Everything goes up in size including the condenser needed to handle the increased throughput. You should take a look at Boyle's Law and Charles' Law.

      You mention pumping into a heated chamber...that's OK but you will need to pre heat the wash. If you try to lower the temperature in such a way to separate water from ethanol you will have a pool of water/ethanol building in the bottom of your vessel. Once you are "there", if the time spent distilling is your major concern, then you have to pose this question to yourself: "Is there a better/cheaper way to accomplish this ?"
      Some of these (off the top of my head) are:

      **increase the energy input in your existing still, resize the plumbing to increase output..etc.
      **hiring a kid at minimum wage to watch the still for you.
      **stirring
      **pumping over
      **Various forms of centrifugal distillation
      spinning plate, cone, flower pot, Buchi
      ** wiped film
      **and my favorite......…using nitrogen a carrier gas and bubbling it through the heated wash.
      All of these have advantages and disadvantages over flash distillation. ..and a final thought, here in oregon every other year I read of someone trying to weld a gas tank blowing himself up..(thinking the tank was empty (!) ) If you build your flash unit please be extra careful at startup and shut down

      Cheers

    • RLB
      Message 43 of 43 , Mar 14, 2013
        I just wanted to tell someone since I dropped the flash distillation subject on Distillers.

        I figured out how to use it for stripping, and how to use it for making cuts.  It will cost around $1,000 to build though.  Now the subject is officially dead for me.

        Robert