Air cooled still

  • Eddie Hoskin
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013

      Living in the 'great cold North', water isn't always the most convenient thing to use when distilling.  Like when it's cold enough to freeze the hoses running to the condenser...quite the "Oh sh!t" moment, I assure you.    So, I started to wonder...could this be air-cooled?

      Some basic research revealed that the concept is solid; it just takes quite a bit more of a copper coil for the task. How much is really the question...there really isn't much info available on the thermal transfer properties of condensate-copper-air :p.

      Coincidentally, I found that I might have some very inexpensive access to 1/2" copper coil. Is it reasonable to assume that if I was to make a condenser coil out of 50 ft of said copper (minus some for running to the still head) with a fan blowing over it, I should be able to run a strip? For ambient temperatures under 70F, at least.

      Thanks in advance,
      Radical Ed

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
        believe Raku built one a couple of years ago . check the archives maybe there is something there.

        You could also use finned tubing with a fan to shorten the lengths of copper you are going
        to need.
        check here   https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&rlz=&q=fined+tube&oq=&gs_l=

        or here http://www.fintube.com/

      • abbababbaccc
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
          2 meters of 22mm aluminium convector pipe (used for caravans) with fans blowing through is enough to knock down 2kW worth of heating power. It will also heat up your garage or house quite nicely.

          Slainte, Riku

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Eddie Hoskin <eddie_hoskin@...> wrote:

          > Living in the 'great cold North', water isn't always the most convenient thing to use when distilling.  Like when it's cold enough to freeze the hoses running to the condenser...quite the "Oh sh!t" moment, I assure you.    So, I started to wonder...could this be air-cooled?
          >
          > Some basic research revealed that the concept is solid; it just takes quite a bit more of a copper coil for the task.  How much is really the question...there really isn't much info available on the thermal transfer properties of condensate-copper-air :p.
          >
          > Coincidentally, I found that I might have some very inexpensive access to 1/2" copper coil.  Is it reasonable to assume that if I was to make a condenser coil out of 50 ft of said copper (minus some for running to the still head) with a fan blowing over it, I should be able to run a strip?  For ambient temperatures under 70F, at least.
          >
          > Thanks in advance,
          > Radical Ed
          >
          > Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
            I purchased a 2.5 gal air cooled still, and it has a single 15" section of fins.  Indoors it is not a great place to use it, because it requires 2 if not 3 fans to cool vapor.  If a person were to add at least 2 to 4 more 15" fines it would be ideal to use with 1 small fan.  I can't recommended the company where I purchased mine because their called stainless steel pot flake and start leaking after 5 runs.  Ask someone in HVAC about a small cooling radiator and fan, because it's a lot easier then hooking up a worm and water pipes and hoses.

            Robert

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
              On page 17 of his book Designing and Building Automatic Stills, Riku describes air-cooling a condenser on a potstill, and I know he's been using air-cooling for years. The book is available from the publisher, Amphora Society, and from me at kelleybarts.com. For those who don't know Riku or his book, and want to really push the technology, this is a great book.

              He's got his own forum going. mostly among Scandinavians.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dave <bbmdave@...> wrote:

              > I believe Raku built one a couple of years ago . check the archives maybe there is something there.
              >
              > You could also use finned tubing with a fan to shorten the lengths of copper you are going
              > to need.
              > check here   https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&rlz=&q=fined+tube&oq=&gs_l=
              >
              > or here http://www.fintube.com/

            • RLB
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 11, 2013
                If you used a properly designed condenser, you will never want to use a worm again.

                Robert

                On page 17 of his book Designing and Building Automatic Stills, Riku describes air-cooling a condenser on a potstill, and I know he's been using air-cooling for years. The book is available from the publisher, Amphora Society, and from me at kelleybarts.com. For those who don't know Riku or his book, and want to really push the technology, this is a great book.

                He's got his own forum going. mostly among Scandinavians.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Dave <bbmdave@...> wrote:

                > I believe Raku built one a couple of years ago . check the archives maybe there is something there.
                >
                > You could also use finned tubing with a fan to shorten the lengths of copper you are going
                > to need.
                > check here   https://www.google.com/search?source=ig&rlz=&q=fined+tube&oq=&gs_l=
                >
                > or here http://www.fintube.com/

              • Timothy C Smoth
                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 12, 2013
                  I just remodeled the plumbing on an old house. In the process I removed a few 8 feet sections of 3/4 inch radiant base board heaters. It's just thin wall 3/4" copper tube that has aluminum fins covering it.
                  I was thinking about using it for an air condenser. I had a idea to put a 1/2" copper tube down the middle as to push the vapor to the sides. But maybe it would be counter productive? Help hold the heat in?
                  Suggestions are listened to.

                  Sent from Tim's iPhone
                • RLB
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 12, 2013
                    I would cut 5 - 18" pieces, and connect them together with pipe, elbows, tees, and cross joints, in the shape of a compact radiator.  Make sure it's placed vertical to empty properly and placing legs on it would be a good idea too.  Place a fan behind radiator to improve heat dissipation is wise.

                    Robert

                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 13, 2013
                      Tim,

                      I would think your find should have all the advantages of Riku's finned aluminum, and the benefits of copper as well. Lots of distillers will introduce turbulence into a large straight condenser tube (to avoid laminar flow, it's it's loss of efficiency) by simple pulling a few loose strands of common copper "scrubby" into the condenser. It doesn't take muck, and you don't want much. Use a magnet to be sure that scrubby is 100% copper; many are not.

                      Good luck with the air-cooling, and keep us posted.

                      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Timothy C Smoth <timothyc.smith@...> wrote:

                      > I just remodeled the plumbing on an old house. In the process I removed a few 8 feet sections of 3/4 inch radiant base board heaters. It's just thin wall 3/4" copper tube that has aluminum fins covering it.
                      > I was thinking about using it for an air condenser. I had a idea to put a 1/2" copper tube down the middle as to push the vapor to the sides. But maybe it would be counter productive? Help hold the heat in?
                      > Suggestions are listened to.
                      >
                      > Sent from Tim's iPhone

                    • Timothy C Smoth
                      Message 10 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
                        Thanks for the the input.
                        I don't want to make the compact radiator out of fear of excess puddle points. Cuts would get smeared too much.
                        I've an idea to run it down a ductwork which I can run a hi flow fan through.

                        Scrubbers or even a thin copper strip for the first little bit sounds good.

                        If I get it done ill post.

                        Sent from Tim's iPhoney
                      • RLB
                        Message 11 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
                          Actually, cuts are smell and taste, but you just mentioned a perfect way of blending heads, hearts, and tails.  Smearing only comes into play at the end of heads and the end of hearts.  Even thought old timers cringe at the mention of using temperature, I use temperature.  Otherwise, I would be constantly drunk from sniffing vapors and sipping 70 abv alcohol.  Drunk and operating still is a real bad idea.

                          Robert

                          Message 12 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
                            Robert,

                            I use a teaspoon, and collect about 3 drops when I'm tasting.  That way my saliva can dilute the high-proof stuff enough to keep from frying my taste buds, and I can stay sober during the run. I'll have to admit, though, that especially when I've got friends helping, there's a lot of laughter happening. Does any one else notice that stilling time is laughing time?

                            I issue everyone a teaspoon when we start stilling day.

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

                            ----snip----  Even thought old timers cringe at the mention of using temperature, I use temperature.  Otherwise, I would be constantly drunk from sniffing vapors and sipping 70 abv alcohol.  Drunk and operating still is a real bad idea.

                            > Robert

                            ----snip----
                          • Jeff Kimble
                            Message 13 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
                              For the same reason, I collect in 300ml increments in small canning jam jars. I number the jars in advance, cover with a paper towel and a rubber band.( some use coffee filters ) and mark each in my log with the head temp and ABV. I let it air overnight, and then convince my girlfriend, who has better nose and tastebuds than I to do the nose and teaspoon test.  Just like wine tasting, she spits it out.

                              There's a lot of good beer that goes into making a batch of whisky, and similarly, a lot of good whiskey that goes into making a batch of beer.

                              Enjoy

                              On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 11:41 AM, tgfoitwoods <zymurgybob@...> wrote:

                              Robert,

                              I use a teaspoon, and collect about 3 drops when I'm tasting.  That way my saliva can dilute the high-proof stuff enough to keep from frying my taste buds, and I can stay sober during the run. I'll have to admit, though, that especially when I've got friends helping, there's a lot of laughter happening. Does any one else notice that stilling time is laughing time?

                              I issue everyone a teaspoon when we start stilling day.

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

                              ----snip----  Even thought old timers cringe at the mention of using temperature, I use temperature.  Otherwise, I would be constantly drunk from sniffing vapors and sipping 70 abv alcohol.  Drunk and operating still is a real bad idea.

                              > Robert

                            • RLB
                              Message 14 of 14 , Mar 14, 2013
                                Before my so called stainless steel pot failed a second time.  My still would drip from 140 to 183 or 4.  From 185 to 200 F, it would flow a steady stream.  I guess a glass eyedropper is needed to taste test it.  (It's true that alcohol destroys a plastic test tube because mine failed after 8 uses, they need glass ones.)

                                Since, my old still failed twice in 3 months, I will have my next still built according to my specification, and it will use a self designed air cooled radiator made of copper pipe, aluminum fins, and a single fan.