Re: [Distillers] Re: Flash Distillation

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 43 , Mar 11, 2013
      We know that alcohol evaporates faster than water because it has a lower boiling point, so how do we increase evaporation to speed up this process?

      Higher temperatures and increased surface area is by far the easiest way to do by the home distiller, but lowering the pressure will also increase evaporation.  How do you increase temperature?  Do I really need to explain this part!  How do you increase surface area?  Spray nozzle will increase surface area substantially, and adjusting droplet size will also aid evaporation.

      If it takes 30 min. to heat a chamber to 204 F, and you can pump 1 gal spray per min., you can run 1 gal in 31 min or 2 gal in 32 min.  5 gal in 35 min. or 50 gal in 80 min.   If you keep re-processing your distillate, you should have very high abv within a few hours.

      Lets see.  Would you rather spend 1 or 5 hr. (running 2gal) watching your pot still?  I don't know about you, but 1 hr sounds a lot better than 5 hr.  Almost everyone says it can't be done.  They show me their charts to prove their point, but increasing evaporation rate has been known for a very long time.

      The most difficult part will be finding the correct temperature and droplet size to enhance evaporation.  This should cover the basics, and the next part is to find the part to build the still.

      Robert

      Message 43 of 43 , Mar 14, 2013
        I just wanted to tell someone since I dropped the flash distillation subject on Distillers.

        I figured out how to use it for stripping, and how to use it for making cuts.  It will cost around $1,000 to build though.  Now the subject is officially dead for me.

        Robert