Re: [Distillers] Re: Flash Distillation

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 43 , Mar 10, 2013
      My biggest problem is that one group says it can't be done and a second group that has an opposite opinion, so who is correct?  Are they both correct in their own right?  I'm not a science geek. so part of my problem is that I don't speak geek.  Here is my un-geek thought.

      We distill wash in a pot still or reflux still, and we use evaporation to remove and consecrate alcohol in a central point.  The question here is can we do this process faster?  Can we evaporate (separate) alcohol from water in minutes rather than hours?  We heat up gals of liquid to increase evaporation, so why not heat up small amounts of wash compared to a gallons.  It is much easier to to increase evaporation in 1 or 2 oz per second than say 2.5 gals in hours.  My whole idea is to substantially increase evaporation there by collecting and concentrating alcohol into a collection point much faster.  Keeping chamber heat below boiling point of water should maximize evaporation, while not turning all liquids into a vapor.

      From what I can tell, my way does the same thing as pot and reflux stills but faster, and it uses less energy to do that function.  If I can partly strip, my 2.5 gals in 35 min., there is still time to re-run  wash and evaporated wash several more times.  In 1 hr, it should be possible to condense 2.5 gals to 95% abv.  That should also cover Zbob's evaporation reference.

      My idea should work to increase evaporation faster, but it will take time to work out any bugs.  The reason I am looking into this is that I broke (pits) a second so called SS pot, so I need a new still that will not keep breaking on me.

      Robert

      Message 43 of 43 , Mar 14, 2013
        I just wanted to tell someone since I dropped the flash distillation subject on Distillers.

        I figured out how to use it for stripping, and how to use it for making cuts.  It will cost around $1,000 to build though.  Now the subject is officially dead for me.

        Robert