Re: [Distillers] Flash Distillation

  • girlguidebiscuit
    Message 1 of 43 , Mar 9, 2013
      A guy I know here, who has been stilling for 10 years and is an engineer, built a continuous fermenter and distiller as one unit. It produced so much 65% alcohol - 6.5 litres a day he said - that he had to turn it off and he went back to the old ways.

      Flash evaporation is nothing new, but if you read up on refluxing at homedistiller.org you will find putting it into practise with ethanol will be pretty tricky. In refluxing the ethanol is evaporated and condensed over and over as it rises up the column, each time evaporating off in a purer and purer form. Flash evaporators as far as I am aware do it just the once. The graph that ZB refers to often pertains here. Of course you could feed the distillate through again and again, but that's what  happens in refluxing anyway. It would probably work satisfactorily with pot stilling.

      To be quite honest Robert, I think at your level of expertise, experience and understanding making a miracle breakthrough will be pure serendipity. Kind of like winning a lottery...simply luck and it doesn't happen very often at all.

      Paul

      Message 43 of 43 , Mar 14, 2013
        I just wanted to tell someone since I dropped the flash distillation subject on Distillers.

        I figured out how to use it for stripping, and how to use it for making cuts.  It will cost around $1,000 to build though.  Now the subject is officially dead for me.

        Robert