Re: [Distillers] New idea for a Still

  • chris jude
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
      Yeah,  we did this at the biodiesel plant I worked for to recover methanol.  Pumped the biodiesel through a spray nozzle at pressure, into a tank where we pulled a vacuum.  Took a large, liquid ring sealed vacuum pump, and a sturdy, pressure/vacuum rated tank.  If you could find an affordable used tank that was properly rated, and a vacuum pump that was intrinsically safe, you could try it.  But, you'd be getting a very dirty alcohol mixture that would still need to be run through a proper column.  Not sure how this would affect flavor and such for a drinking alcohol.

      On Sat, Mar 9, 2013 at 5:40 PM, Eddie Hoskin <eddie_hoskin@...> wrote:

      The biggest issue with flash distillation is simply dealing with the pressures involved.  The concept is extremely similar to many power plant steam cycles; heat up the liquid at an extreme pressure to keep it from  boiling, then run it through a pressure-reduction nozzle to flash it to steam.

      While these sorts of pressures are fairly common at the industrial scale, they are almost unheard of at the tabletop scale.  They require welded steel, or better yet stainless steel, vessels to withstand the pressures.  That's going to be the biggest reason you don't see small scale setups using it...beyond the obvious increase in startup equipment costs.

      Radical Ed