Re: [Distillers] Re: New idea for a Still

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
      Flash Distillation

      From: jsducote <forlorntexan@...>
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Friday, March 8, 2013 10:37 AM
      Subject: [Distillers] Re: New idea for a Still

      FYI- This is the same guy that trolled the New Distillers group with the same amazing idea. I hear he's got a cure for cancer, but he still needs to figure out how to stop uncontrolled cell growth and tumor formation.

      Robert, these forums are for either sharing ideas or asking questions. Put up or shut up.
      -j

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      > Could you not have given us an inkling of what you are proposing or kept quiet until then?
      >
      > Regards
      > Joe

    • RLB
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
        Flash Distillation is shit stirring as you call it.  I took several day to find the information.

        Robert

        Steady, everyone, and remember the "play nice" rule.

        On the other side, Robert, on New_Distillers I defended your right to state what you were going to try to prove, and now you've stated that on both of the sister groups. Do your research and your experiments, and tell us what you have learned and/or accomplished, but until you have something, further re-statements and defenses of your intentions are simple shit-stirring, and disrupt the normal flow of information.

        Good luck on your research, and keep us posted.

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
          They are normally huge, so why are there no small ones?  They are super fast, and should only add a few hundred to the cost of a still.  Does you book cover flash distillation?

          Robert

          Easy, guys, and remember the "play nice" rule.

          On the other hand, Robert, on New_Distillers I defended your right to state your intention to research a different approach to ethanol concentration. You've now stated that intention on both of the sister lists, so that's all handled now. When you have results from your research and/or experimentation, feel free to let us know, along with supporting facts, but without more progress, just re-stating what you believe is simple shit-stirring, and disrupts the (relatively) smooth exchange of information this list is known for.

          Thanks for your help in this matter, all of yez.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" <forlorntexan@...> wrote:

          > FYI- This is the same guy that trolled the New Distillers group with the same amazing idea. I hear he's got a cure for cancer, but he still needs to figure out how to stop uncontrolled cell growth and tumor formation.
          >
          > Robert, these forums are for either sharing ideas or asking questions. Put up or shut up.
          > -j
          >
          > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen joegiffen@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi,
          > > Could you not have given us an inkling of what you are proposing or kept quiet until then?
          > >
          > > Regards
          > > Joe

        • Eddie Hoskin
          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
            The biggest issue with flash distillation is simply dealing with the pressures involved.  The concept is extremely similar to many power plant steam cycles; heat up the liquid at an extreme pressure to keep it from  boiling, then run it through a pressure-reduction nozzle to flash it to steam.

            While these sorts of pressures are fairly common at the industrial scale, they are almost unheard of at the tabletop scale.  They require welded steel, or better yet stainless steel, vessels to withstand the pressures.  That's going to be the biggest reason you don't see small scale setups using it...beyond the obvious increase in startup equipment costs.

            Radical Ed
          • chris jude
            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 9, 2013
              Yeah,  we did this at the biodiesel plant I worked for to recover methanol.  Pumped the biodiesel through a spray nozzle at pressure, into a tank where we pulled a vacuum.  Took a large, liquid ring sealed vacuum pump, and a sturdy, pressure/vacuum rated tank.  If you could find an affordable used tank that was properly rated, and a vacuum pump that was intrinsically safe, you could try it.  But, you'd be getting a very dirty alcohol mixture that would still need to be run through a proper column.  Not sure how this would affect flavor and such for a drinking alcohol.