education

  • chris jude
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2013
      Hey folks,

      I'm interested in taking some courses on distilling, I've been doing this for a couple of years and have an opportunity to work with a start up distillery.  We will be working initially with brandies, ports, sherries and cordials, but eventually with rums and whiskey.  I've found the upcoming Siebel course, and know of the ADI courses.  Are these recommended?  Any tips?  I'm actually much more familiar with rums than the wine distillates.

      Thanks,
      chris
    • Fredrick Lee

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 9, 2013
          Downslope Distilling (Centennial, Colorado) offers a two day course on Distilling - which covers all aspects of distilling/mashing/permitting.
          www.downslopedistilling.com or call 303-693-4300
          I disagree with the comment - just do it. There are new innovations in distilling practices which are important in making a great spirit..
        • Tom
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 9, 2013
            Chris,

            On February 23, 2013, I attended an intensive one-day seminar at Virtuoso Distillieries, LLC in Mishawaka, IN (suburb of Southbend). The course was put on by owner and operator, Steve Ross, and his Master Distiller, Mike Dailey. The course was great! Steve and Mike did an outstanding job. This was Steve's second seminar. I believe he will host another one next year.

            Steve makes vodka from rye. He has a 600L Holstein sitll with 18 bubble cap plates. His operation is great! His enthusiasm is off the charts. He answered any and all questions from the group of twenty (20) attendees. We got to look, feel, taste, photograph, etc.

            I would attend the seminar again without hesitation.

            Steve posts on this site occasionally. Check out the link below:

            http://www.ediblecommunities.com/michiana/winter-2011/liquid-assets.htm

            Steve will not recognize the name below as it's not my real name. I was the first one to arrive - I sat on the first row, right by Steve.

            Tom