Re: [Distillers] New idea for a Still

  • fatbloke
    Message 1 of 17 , Mar 7 9:07 PM
      So like a fast stripping sort of thing ?

      Any increase in process speed is always welcome. While the efforts and skill of the "pot fella's" is nice to read about, I'm far to impatient for all that. Which is why I'm more than happy to stick with sugar turbos and neutral spirit.

      If I can get the stuff separated quicker then maybe rerun the stripped product, now that would be an excellent time saver......

      last2blast <last2blast@...> wrote:

      I just wanted everyone to know that I had an idea for a new still. Come to find out my idea is not new, and it is currently being used for something else.

      My challenge will be to adapt its use for removing alcohol from water. If it can be adapted to remove alcohol from water, we should be able to process our wash in 1/10 th of the time we currently spend watching over our stills. If it can be made to work, I will save me at least 4 hours attending my 2.5 gal pot still. 50 gal wash should not take longer than 2 hrs from start to finish. If it can be made to work, I will prove all of my drawings and test results for your examination and possible future use on distiller.

      I know the process works, but at what temperature setting will it work best? It will process wash or wort so fast that it will be nearly impossible to do proper cuts, or to discard Methanol.

      My challenge will be to figure out how to remove Methanol, heads, hearts, and tails as fast as it strips alcohol from wash or wort.

      Robert

    • joe giffen
      Message 2 of 17 , Mar 7 10:04 PM
        Hi,
        Could you not have given us an inkling of what you are proposing or kept quiet until then?

        Regards
        Joe

        Message 3 of 17 , Mar 8 3:34 AM
          Robert-
            Any decrease in stripping time would certainly help us home distillers.  The cuts run can then be done with the other stills.  I enjoy my pot still and prefer it to my reflux, of course it depends on what I'm after.
          White Bear

          Message 4 of 17 , Mar 8 7:32 AM
            STOP IT! This is the same shit that quickly got out of hand on the New Distillers group. Either ask questions of the experts here, post something relevant to distilling (put up), or shut up.
            -j

            Message 5 of 17 , Mar 8 7:37 AM
              FYI- This is the same guy that trolled the New Distillers group with the same amazing idea. I hear he's got a cure for cancer, but he still needs to figure out how to stop uncontrolled cell growth and tumor formation.

              Robert, these forums are for either sharing ideas or asking questions. Put up or shut up.
              -j

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen <joegiffen@...> wrote:

              > Hi,
              > Could you not have given us an inkling of what you are proposing or kept quiet until then?
              >
              > Regards
              > Joe

            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 17 , Mar 8 9:51 AM
                Steady, everyone, and remember the "play nice" rule.

                On the other side, Robert, on New_Distillers I defended your right to state what you were going to try to prove, and now you've stated that on both of the sister groups. Do your research and your experiments, and tell us what you have learned and/or accomplished, but until you have something, further re-statements and defenses of your intentions are simple shit-stirring, and disrupt the normal flow of information.

                Good luck on your research, and keep us posted.

                Message 7 of 17 , Mar 8 10:02 AM
                  Easy, guys, and remember the "play nice" rule.

                  On the other hand, Robert, on New_Distillers I defended your right to state your intention to research a different approach to ethanol concentration. You've now stated that intention on both of the sister lists, so that's all handled now. When you have results from your research and/or experimentation, feel free to let us know, along with supporting facts, but without more progress, just re-stating what you believe is simple shit-stirring, and disrupts the (relatively) smooth exchange of information this list is known for.

                  Thanks for your help in this matter, all of yez.

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" <forlorntexan@...> wrote:

                  > FYI- This is the same guy that trolled the New Distillers group with the same amazing idea. I hear he's got a cure for cancer, but he still needs to figure out how to stop uncontrolled cell growth and tumor formation.
                  >
                  > Robert, these forums are for either sharing ideas or asking questions. Put up or shut up.
                  > -j
                  >
                  > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen joegiffen@ wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Hi,
                  > > Could you not have given us an inkling of what you are proposing or kept quiet until then?
                  > >
                  > > Regards
                  > > Joe

                • RLB
                  Message 8 of 17 , Mar 9 11:39 AM
                    Flash distillation
                    Robert

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 9 11:47 AM
                      Check out flash distillation. Its not perfect but for striping it should be super fast.  You can set it up as a reflex too.  Problem is that most units are huge, and I am thinking of a drum no larger than 10 gal.  The science supports it on a large scale but can we use it on a small scale?  If we can miniaturize it, we can process 50 gal in around 2 hrs.

                      Robert

                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 9 11:51 AM
                        It should work well with you bio-diesel plans as well.  Last night it took 6.5 hrs to strip 2.5 gal of wash.  You can even turn it into a reflex.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Mar 9 11:52 AM
                          Flash Distillation

                          Robert

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 9 11:53 AM
                            Flash Distillation

                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 9 12:05 PM
                              Flash Distillation is shit stirring as you call it.  I took several day to find the information.

                              Robert

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 9 12:10 PM
                                They are normally huge, so why are there no small ones?  They are super fast, and should only add a few hundred to the cost of a still.  Does you book cover flash distillation?

                                Robert

                                Easy, guys, and remember the "play nice" rule.

                                On the other hand, Robert, on New_Distillers I defended your right to state your intention to research a different approach to ethanol concentration. You've now stated that intention on both of the sister lists, so that's all handled now. When you have results from your research and/or experimentation, feel free to let us know, along with supporting facts, but without more progress, just re-stating what you believe is simple shit-stirring, and disrupts the (relatively) smooth exchange of information this list is known for.

                                Thanks for your help in this matter, all of yez.

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "jsducote" <forlorntexan@...> wrote:

                                > FYI- This is the same guy that trolled the New Distillers group with the same amazing idea. I hear he's got a cure for cancer, but he still needs to figure out how to stop uncontrolled cell growth and tumor formation.
                                >
                                > Robert, these forums are for either sharing ideas or asking questions. Put up or shut up.
                                > -j
                                >
                                > --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, joe giffen joegiffen@ wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Hi,
                                > > Could you not have given us an inkling of what you are proposing or kept quiet until then?
                                > >
                                > > Regards
                                > > Joe

                              • Eddie Hoskin
                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 9 2:40 PM
                                  The biggest issue with flash distillation is simply dealing with the pressures involved.  The concept is extremely similar to many power plant steam cycles; heat up the liquid at an extreme pressure to keep it from  boiling, then run it through a pressure-reduction nozzle to flash it to steam.

                                  While these sorts of pressures are fairly common at the industrial scale, they are almost unheard of at the tabletop scale.  They require welded steel, or better yet stainless steel, vessels to withstand the pressures.  That's going to be the biggest reason you don't see small scale setups using it...beyond the obvious increase in startup equipment costs.

                                  Radical Ed
                                • chris jude
                                  Message 16 of 17 , Mar 9 4:29 PM
                                    Yeah,  we did this at the biodiesel plant I worked for to recover methanol.  Pumped the biodiesel through a spray nozzle at pressure, into a tank where we pulled a vacuum.  Took a large, liquid ring sealed vacuum pump, and a sturdy, pressure/vacuum rated tank.  If you could find an affordable used tank that was properly rated, and a vacuum pump that was intrinsically safe, you could try it.  But, you'd be getting a very dirty alcohol mixture that would still need to be run through a proper column.  Not sure how this would affect flavor and such for a drinking alcohol.