Re: [Distillers] Yeast Comment

  • Robert Lemmen
    Message 1 of 32 , Mar 4, 2013
      hi henry,

      On Fri, Mar 01, 2013 at 02:24:03PM -0800, henry sangret wrote:
      > I use this yeast Prestige Whisky Yeast with AG from Brewhaus.  Of course with a starter I am required to use a enzyme cocktail for starch reduction. Another alternative is to buy 10 packs and get a discount.

      great that you bring this up! this is something I don't understand at
      all: why would it be any good to have AG in your yeast? shouldn't the
      starch be converted by your malt before you pitch the yeast? what's the
      benefit?

      thanks robert

      --
      Robert Lemmen http://www.semistable.com
      Message 32 of 32 , Mar 4, 2013
        Whisky yeast I gather contains glucoamylase which helps to finish off the starch conversion more completely. It is also used to make "dry" beers.
        wal