Flour mixture for sealing.

  • harisaki2004
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 4, 2013
      Hi Distillers,
      After some 9 years of distilling, I am searching for some advise from others on flour sealing mixture. Do you have any experience with this?
      What type of flour?
      Any other ingredients?

      I use plain white wheat flour and a little vegetable oil plus cold water to mix to a smoother paste for small gaps. This works ok, but wondered if others had some experience with other types of flour, ie rye flour is often mentioned but is it made from rye?

      Happy distilling .

      Hari.
    • White Bear
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 4, 2013
        Hari-
          In my small teakettle still, I seal the top with just flour and water mixed relativly thick.  My kin use to use rye flour and water mix exclusivly on their larger, 50-gallon still top.  I guess whatever works for you, go with it.
        WB