Canadian whisky

  • oakvilledood
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2013
      Hello all

      I am new to the group and am excited to join and learn the craft of artisan home distillation

      I am searching for a canadian whisky recipe. As bourbon is too strong for my buds, Canadian whisky which is milder in flavor, is to my liking. Recently Fourty Creek has grabbed my attention. Can anyone help or direct me to a good Canadian recipe?

      Most publications have very little if nothing on Canadian whisky. Brian Davis's book is fantastic but has almost no mention, Bob Zymurgy, touches on the topic but I am still no where ahead

      Tons of " licked and shine " washes but nuthin from north of the 49

      Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction

      Warmest regards
      Big Euge!
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2013
        Something tells me that you are referring to the bite that you run across in many distilled spirits.  If I am correct, you are looking at cuts rather than a particular type or brand of whiskey.  If you use only hearts cut, it will produce a smoother whiskey that most distillers shy away from.  There are some smaller distiller's who refine hearts even further by actually running hearts two or three time.   You will find a Canadian whiskey recipe, but it's a little more complicated then just a recipe.  Let me suggest that you do a run, and as you make your run place your distillate into 8 or jars.  Number each jar in order they were filled.  using distilled water and quart jars, proof your distillate down to 40% abv and then sip and spit. If you find one to your liking you know that its hearts rather than a recipe.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2013
          See -
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_whisky