RE: [Distillers] 5 gallon still and the quantity it produces.

  • Greg Sosbey
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
      Back when there was Urea in the yeast, I used to get around 4.5 litres (approx 1 gallon) out of my wash (25 litre / 5 gallon). But then the the government thought it prudent to exclude the urea. Now I get around 2.5 - 3.0 litres from my wash at around 76% - 80% ABV.  All I can do is chuck on some wood at let it sit for a couple of years.

      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      From: nomoreindy@...
      Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:44:18 +0000
      Subject: [Distillers] 5 gallon still and the quantity it produces.

      My question is this. How much product should i be getting out of a 5 gallon batch of wash. I have ran 2 batches and only produced 2 quarts out of each one.. I have read different articles on the subject and they say a gallon or so. I'm confused!!! Should I try to revamp my still? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

    • mrlovjoy
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Greg Sosbey <sozza23@...> wrote:

        > Back when there was Urea in the yeast, I used to get around 4.5 litres (approx 1 gallon) out of my wash (25 litre / 5 gallon).

        I'm really new, so I honestly don't know, but, if Urea was that important, why wouldn't you simply add some with your yeast? Very cheap, and easy to get, and doubling your output would certainly be worth it. Thanks, H.
      • RLB
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
          DAP will do the same thing, so why add it twice?

          Robert