Re: [Distillers] how to toast wood pieces?

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
      An outside grill like you cook hot dogs and burgers would work fine as long ass you watched and turned them.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
        If you placed wood in a steel or tin can, like a coffee can or larger, and placed it on a fire, it would also roast the wood without catching fire. You have to watch it though.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

        > An outside grill like you cook hot dogs and burgers would work fine as long ass you watched and turned them.
        >
        > Robert
        >

        > ________________________________

      • bobcrowder2001
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013

          Toast the thin slices of oak in the microwave. You can tell when they are done by the smoke smell.

          Bob C

        • fatbloke
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
            Personally I cut it into small "staves" about 6 inches long and a quarter inch square section then spread them on a baking tray and bake them on high oven setting. Keep checking them till they're a light charcoal colour.

            bob@... wrote:

            Toast the thin slices of oak in the microwave. You can tell when they are done by the smoke smell.

            Bob C

          • Derek Hamlet
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
              At 11:35 AM 2/26/2013, you wrote:

              >Toast the thin slices of oak in the microwave. You can tell when
              >they are done by the smoke smell.

              I had no idea you could do it that way. I toast my oak staves
              (White American Oak) in the oven. That way I have some control over
              the degree of toast since I like to use both light, medium and dark
              toasted oak depending on what I'm aiming for. I sometimes then put
              the used staves through a thickness planer to re-use later.
              If I want charred oak, I just take some of the oak staves hang them
              up and go after them with blow torch. Everyone around here knows I'm
              a little eccentric. I was changing a tire once on a motorcycle while
              my still was bubbling away over the corner. One of the local
              gendarmes dropped up the driveway for something totally unrelated to
              me. We talked motos for a while, and then he asked it that's a still
              over there. I said, yup, I make natural essences that we put into
              natural soaps, some into food etc. etc. Well, scotch is a natural
              essence isn't it.
              He probably figured it all out, but had way more important things to
              be concerned about.
              We could get into a whole discussion of French vs. American vs.
              Eastern European oaks. I prefer French oak,,,,,,,,,,, but, not
              really available for cheap or free.
              Around here we have lots of Garry Oak which is a very geographically
              small subspecies of White Oak. In my town, if you cut one down they
              will tear of vital parts of your body and feed them to mad
              dogs. Seriously, they are protected. But, occasionally they have to
              have limbs taken off, or they blow over in a storm. Smart old
              bastards like me, have a little arrangement with the local municipal
              arborist. He gives me a call and asks if I need any and believe it
              or not he'll drop off a couple of ten foot branches that are 6-8" in
              diameter. It doesn't take many of those to make up a ton of oak
              staves ready for toasting.
              Sometimes they leave them to rot naturally, if possible, because that
              ends up supporting the entire ecosystem. Other times they get picked
              up and hauled away by the local fine art woodcraft people who cut it
              up into planks for seasoning. etc.
              You've never seen anything quite so purty as a Garry Oak meadow with
              all its wildflowers and grasses growing. Back in the day, the local
              Aboriginal people use to set them on fire. The fires didn't hurt the
              trees, but burned off the grass so they could then harvest the blue
              camas bulbs which were an integral part of their diet. The grasses
              all grew back by the next spring.

              So, there's my long winded thoughts on toasting.

              Derek