how to toast wood pieces?

  • Bill Rogers
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2013
      I've read that lots (most) of you use propane torches or MAPP torches. I don't have either of these.  I do have a butane torch but that seems rather inefficient.  I have an old toaster over we don't use.  I've read about people using their convention ovens to toast wood but the thought of doing this inside makes me quiver in fear of the repercussions from the wifey.  I can set the toaster over up outside, load it and let 'er go.  I do not know the right temperature range to get a nice dark toast on it though.

      can anyone help?
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
        An outside grill like you cook hot dogs and burgers would work fine as long ass you watched and turned them.

        Robert

        I've read that lots (most) of you use propane torches or MAPP torches. I don't have either of these.  I do have a butane torch but that seems rather inefficient.  I have an old toaster over we don't use.  I've read about people using their convention ovens to toast wood but the thought of doing this inside makes me quiver in fear of the repercussions from the wifey.  I can set the toaster over up outside, load it and let 'er go.  I do not know the right temperature range to get a nice dark toast on it though.

        can anyone help?

      • DB
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
          If you placed wood in a steel or tin can, like a coffee can or larger, and placed it on a fire, it would also roast the wood without catching fire. You have to watch it though.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB <last2blast@...> wrote:

          > An outside grill like you cook hot dogs and burgers would work fine as long ass you watched and turned them.
          >
          > Robert
          >

          > ________________________________

        • bobcrowder2001
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013

            Toast the thin slices of oak in the microwave. You can tell when they are done by the smoke smell.

            Bob C

          • fatbloke
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
              Personally I cut it into small "staves" about 6 inches long and a quarter inch square section then spread them on a baking tray and bake them on high oven setting. Keep checking them till they're a light charcoal colour.

              bob@... wrote:

              Toast the thin slices of oak in the microwave. You can tell when they are done by the smoke smell.

              Bob C

            • Derek Hamlet
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
                At 11:35 AM 2/26/2013, you wrote:

                >Toast the thin slices of oak in the microwave. You can tell when
                >they are done by the smoke smell.

                I had no idea you could do it that way. I toast my oak staves
                (White American Oak) in the oven. That way I have some control over
                the degree of toast since I like to use both light, medium and dark
                toasted oak depending on what I'm aiming for. I sometimes then put
                the used staves through a thickness planer to re-use later.
                If I want charred oak, I just take some of the oak staves hang them
                up and go after them with blow torch. Everyone around here knows I'm
                a little eccentric. I was changing a tire once on a motorcycle while
                my still was bubbling away over the corner. One of the local
                gendarmes dropped up the driveway for something totally unrelated to
                me. We talked motos for a while, and then he asked it that's a still
                over there. I said, yup, I make natural essences that we put into
                natural soaps, some into food etc. etc. Well, scotch is a natural
                essence isn't it.
                He probably figured it all out, but had way more important things to
                be concerned about.
                We could get into a whole discussion of French vs. American vs.
                Eastern European oaks. I prefer French oak,,,,,,,,,,, but, not
                really available for cheap or free.
                Around here we have lots of Garry Oak which is a very geographically
                small subspecies of White Oak. In my town, if you cut one down they
                will tear of vital parts of your body and feed them to mad
                dogs. Seriously, they are protected. But, occasionally they have to
                have limbs taken off, or they blow over in a storm. Smart old
                bastards like me, have a little arrangement with the local municipal
                arborist. He gives me a call and asks if I need any and believe it
                or not he'll drop off a couple of ten foot branches that are 6-8" in
                diameter. It doesn't take many of those to make up a ton of oak
                staves ready for toasting.
                Sometimes they leave them to rot naturally, if possible, because that
                ends up supporting the entire ecosystem. Other times they get picked
                up and hauled away by the local fine art woodcraft people who cut it
                up into planks for seasoning. etc.
                You've never seen anything quite so purty as a Garry Oak meadow with
                all its wildflowers and grasses growing. Back in the day, the local
                Aboriginal people use to set them on fire. The fires didn't hurt the
                trees, but burned off the grass so they could then harvest the blue
                camas bulbs which were an integral part of their diet. The grasses
                all grew back by the next spring.

                So, there's my long winded thoughts on toasting.

                Derek