5 gallon still and the quantity it produces.

  • nomoreindy
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
      My question is this. How much product should i be getting out of a 5 gallon batch of wash. I have ran 2 batches and only produced 2 quarts out of each one.. I have read different articles on the subject and they say a gallon or so. I'm confused!!! Should I try to revamp my still? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.
    • Greg Sosbey
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
        Back when there was Urea in the yeast, I used to get around 4.5 litres (approx 1 gallon) out of my wash (25 litre / 5 gallon). But then the the government thought it prudent to exclude the urea. Now I get around 2.5 - 3.0 litres from my wash at around 76% - 80% ABV.  All I can do is chuck on some wood at let it sit for a couple of years.

        To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
        From: nomoreindy@...
        Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2013 17:44:18 +0000
        Subject: [Distillers] 5 gallon still and the quantity it produces.

        My question is this. How much product should i be getting out of a 5 gallon batch of wash. I have ran 2 batches and only produced 2 quarts out of each one.. I have read different articles on the subject and they say a gallon or so. I'm confused!!! Should I try to revamp my still? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

      • RLB
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
          How much sugar did you use?  What kind of still was used?  How did you make your cuts?

          In my 2 gal. pot still stripping runs, I gain 2.5 qt of 50% to 60% abv distillate.  Out of 8 stripped qt. I gain 3 qt. of finished distillate.  I don't know the proof because my finished tails run cracked my sample tube.  My guess is that my finish distillate is close to 80% abv.  When I dilute it to 40% abv, it will give me 6 qt of 40% abv.

          A good 5 gal wash should produce 6 to 7 qt. of stripping run distillate, so a 2 qt finished distillate sounds about right.  You will gain more with higher abv going into a stripping run, and you will gain more by stripping down to 40%.

          Robert

          My question is this. How much product should i be getting out of a 5 gallon batch of wash. I have ran 2 batches and only produced 2 quarts out of each one.. I have read different articles on the subject and they say a gallon or so. I'm confused!!! Should I try to revamp my still? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 25, 2013
            Without knowing what kind of stil you are running and what %ABV your wash is, here are some estimates for a potstill. If you collect to 99C, and your wash is 10% ABV, you should get (VERY roughly) 1 gallon of 50% distillate. Of course, if your wash is 5% ABV, expect maybe 2 quarts of 50%.

            If you're running a good reflux still well, that 10% wash should give you about 2 quarts of azeotrope. That's all ballpark, of course.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "nomoreindy" <nomoreindy@...> wrote:

            > My question is this. How much product should i be getting out of a 5 gallon batch of wash. I have ran 2 batches and only produced 2 quarts out of each one.. I have read different articles on the subject and they say a gallon or so. I'm confused!!! Should I try to revamp my still? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

          • mrlovjoy
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Greg Sosbey <sozza23@...> wrote:

              > Back when there was Urea in the yeast, I used to get around 4.5 litres (approx 1 gallon) out of my wash (25 litre / 5 gallon).

              I'm really new, so I honestly don't know, but, if Urea was that important, why wouldn't you simply add some with your yeast? Very cheap, and easy to get, and doubling your output would certainly be worth it. Thanks, H.
            • RLB
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 26, 2013
                DAP will do the same thing, so why add it twice?

                Robert