Re: [Distillers] Re: Aged dunder fermentation

  • Carlos alberto Sanchez
    Message 1 of 31 , Feb 22, 2013
      yo soy un verdadero milagro de la vida

      De: Chris Jude <vegbenz300@...>
      Para: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Enviado: domingo, 10 de febrero de 2013 20:19
      Asunto: Re: [Distillers] Re: Aged dunder fermentation

      reviving an old dead thread.

      I've got several quarts of first run sorghum distillate run by a friend who made no cuts, just gave me the whole run.  I want to run it through again to clean it up and remove the feints and the 35-50% cuts per Arroyo's method.  I've got some fresh sorghum runs that I save the backset and the rum oil cuts.  When doing this distillate run, could I dillute the liquor with the dunder for extra flavor, or should I cut it 50% with pure water?

      thanks,

      chris

      On Sat, Oct 15, 2011 at 4:39 PM, Alex Castillo <castillo.alex2008@...> wrote:

      Gavin,
      Begin with dunder/water 50/50 (i.e. 10 liters water + 10 liters dunder) adding your molasses (i.e. 1 gallon), DAP (i.e. 1 Tbsp), citric acid (i.e. 1 Tbsp) and yeast (1/4 cup - 1 cup, hydrated or sprinkled on top, then mix).
      I suggest you to begin with bread yeast, since is inexpensive.  With time you may even go all dunder.
      Oxygenate/aireate well (i.e. aquarium pump 1-2 hours).
      Alternatively (instead of using dunder) would be interesting to try bacterial cultures (bretts, lactic, etc.) as secondary fermentations, or even dumping the yogurt after the primary fermentation to create the dunder efect "in situ", lol.  There´s plenty room for experimentation.  I like that!
      Please let us know how it went in your Jamaican craft, Gavin-rum!, lol
      Have fun...and keep it safe!
      Alex

    • Carlos alberto Sanchez
      Message 31 of 31 , Feb 22, 2013