Re: [Distillers] Barley verse Alfalfa

  • White Bear
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15, 2013

      Robert-
        If other members are too BUSY to answer your question, go ahead and malt out some alfalfa, dry it, crush it, and give it a try.  Using a small batch, check the SG prior to pitching the alfalfa and simmer at 150°F to break down the starches.  cool and take the SG again.  Let us know what your experiment findings are.  I personally am interested in knowing.
      White Bear

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15, 2013
        might not be a lot of info on alfalfa but it's there Thanks : bobcrowder2001

        Robert

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2013
          Oh!  I plan on trying alfalfa sprouts, Bob Crowder mentioned that he used alfalfa, but the info on alfalfa was very limited.  No answer would have meant know one had tried alfalfa before.  Reading someone added clover to sugar wash is interesting to know too.  It's February in New York State, so clover will have wait until spring.

          My thought is to malt a pound of alfalfa seeds crush the sprouts, and add them to 5 lbs of cracked corn to simmer at 150 F for an hour.  Add cooked alfalfa sprouts and corn to my basic premixed sugar wash and top it off with more water, and then pitch my yeast.  If my guess is correct, it will produce a spicy flavored corn whiskey.