Re: [Distillers] Barley verse Alfalfa

  • jvb
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 15 12:44 PM
      Are we all too busy to answer a simple question?   Ignore it if you are.

      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 15 5:19 PM

        Robert-
          If other members are too BUSY to answer your question, go ahead and malt out some alfalfa, dry it, crush it, and give it a try.  Using a small batch, check the SG prior to pitching the alfalfa and simmer at 150°F to break down the starches.  cool and take the SG again.  Let us know what your experiment findings are.  I personally am interested in knowing.
        White Bear

        Are we all too busy to answer a simple question?   Ignore it if you are.

        Alfa Alfa or Lucerne, is a legume like a pea or a bean! It is not a grain...maybe a 2-3 minutes google search will give you quicker answers to tour questions before asking this forum
        On 15/02/2013, at 7:15 PM, "last2blast" <last2blast@...> wrote:

        In the past few weeks, I read that alfalfa sprouts are very high in enzymes like barley. Has anyone tried alfalfa sprouts instead of barley? How do they compare? My plan is to start with grains in March, so I was wondering if anyone has used alfalfa before my experimenting. Alfalfa sprouts are spicy, so they might be a good replacement for rye. I am up to 5 gal buckets of sugar wash at this time, before moving onto grains. Robert
      • RLB
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15 6:16 PM
          might not be a lot of info on alfalfa but it's there Thanks : bobcrowder2001

          Robert

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15 8:12 PM
            Oh!  I plan on trying alfalfa sprouts, Bob Crowder mentioned that he used alfalfa, but the info on alfalfa was very limited.  No answer would have meant know one had tried alfalfa before.  Reading someone added clover to sugar wash is interesting to know too.  It's February in New York State, so clover will have wait until spring.

            My thought is to malt a pound of alfalfa seeds crush the sprouts, and add them to 5 lbs of cracked corn to simmer at 150 F for an hour.  Add cooked alfalfa sprouts and corn to my basic premixed sugar wash and top it off with more water, and then pitch my yeast.  If my guess is correct, it will produce a spicy flavored corn whiskey.