Barley verse Alfalfa

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 14, 2013
      In the past few weeks, I read that alfalfa sprouts are very high in enzymes like barley.

      Has anyone tried alfalfa sprouts instead of barley? How do they compare?

      My plan is to start with grains in March, so I was wondering if anyone has used alfalfa before my experimenting. Alfalfa sprouts are spicy, so they might be a good replacement for rye.

      I am up to 5 gal buckets of sugar wash at this time, before moving onto grains.

      Robert
    • Desross

        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 15, 2013
          Are we all too busy to answer a simple question?   Ignore it if you are.

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 15, 2013
            Yes, I realize that it's legume, but they stated in the article mung bean sprouts, chick pea sprouts, barley sprouts, and alfalfa sprouts as being very high in enzymes to break down starches.

            The question was, "Has anyone tried alfalfa sprouts instead of barley?"

            By your comment, I must assume the answer is, "No", so that gives me another experiment to place on my list.  I figured that if no one had tried it on Distillers group, there is a good chance that I will be the first.  If someone thinks I am crazy, they need to look on the industrial alcohol permit form where it lists using Alfalfa to produce ethanol.

            Robert

            Message 5 of 7 , Feb 15, 2013

              Robert-
                If other members are too BUSY to answer your question, go ahead and malt out some alfalfa, dry it, crush it, and give it a try.  Using a small batch, check the SG prior to pitching the alfalfa and simmer at 150°F to break down the starches.  cool and take the SG again.  Let us know what your experiment findings are.  I personally am interested in knowing.
              White Bear

              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 15, 2013
                might not be a lot of info on alfalfa but it's there Thanks : bobcrowder2001

                Robert

                Message 7 of 7 , Feb 15, 2013
                  Oh!  I plan on trying alfalfa sprouts, Bob Crowder mentioned that he used alfalfa, but the info on alfalfa was very limited.  No answer would have meant know one had tried alfalfa before.  Reading someone added clover to sugar wash is interesting to know too.  It's February in New York State, so clover will have wait until spring.

                  My thought is to malt a pound of alfalfa seeds crush the sprouts, and add them to 5 lbs of cracked corn to simmer at 150 F for an hour.  Add cooked alfalfa sprouts and corn to my basic premixed sugar wash and top it off with more water, and then pitch my yeast.  If my guess is correct, it will produce a spicy flavored corn whiskey.