Re: Gravity readings

  • Dan D
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
      Zymurgy Bob,Robert,Henry;
      Gentlemen Thank you for the suggestions on the grains.
      I do watch the show Moonshiners but I did some general research online to make the decision to just use the corn off of that not the show. I also ready on another forum (forget which with all the searching I have been doing)they just used sugar, cornmeal & yeast.
      I think I was aiming for a sour mash, but changed my mind & went with the recipe I listed. I am reading more each day & looking into which grains or malts I want to use on my next batch I make up. Just need to understand my processes of how to cook them up & additives to use.

      Henry thank you for the descriptions of the barley & peat, will keep it in mind when looking for my next ingredients.

      Robert- I did some research into malting my grains & seen a few ideas for indoor processes as well. Will be something I get into a little later as I progress in getting my ingredients & flavors honed in!

      As always I thank you for the info & inputs!
    • RLB
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
        If you knew nothing about distilling like myself before watching the show, Moonshines provided me with a few good tips: pot, thumper, and worm.  As I learned more then it was obvious there was a lot missing.  malting and smoking was another good tip.

        Robert

        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
          I knew bits long ago & had a friend that made his own version of Southern Comfort that I thought was a lot better. But he was an old school distiller & made hi test fuel as well. But the show was good entertainment for me.

          Zymurgy Bob: you almost made me fall out my chair with that comment. Get on stage with stuff like that & you wont go broke. In my book anywho.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, RLB wrote:

          > If you knew nothing about distilling like myself before watching the show, Moonshines provided me with a few good tips: pot, thumper, and worm.  As I learned more then it was obvious there was a lot missing.  malting and smoking was another good tip.
          >
          > Robert
          >

          > ________________________________

        • henry sangret
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
            I use corn alot to make a neutral spirit for topping my barrels off, I ferment and I distill on the grain.

            I have been using a mix of yellow and white corn meal, they come in 25 lb. bags and I have been paying $12 per bag. Easy to use, just bring the necessary water to a rolling boil put put it into a suitable large fermenter add corn meal and mix thoroughly (hint : I use a propeller bladed paint mixer on a cordless electric drill) . I would suggest you put your chiller in immediately if you have one because it quickly gelatinizes. After the mash temp drops to 60 C  I add my enzyme cocktail and thoroughly mix again, it thins quickly. When ready I distill in a water bath jacketed boiler so it doesn't scorch the grain, I have found that certain spirits taste better when distilled in such a way.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
              Henry,

              What ratio of corn to water do you use? Corn mash can get awfully thick during some of the intermediate processes, at least for me. Oh, and what enzymes are you using? I alos gave up on barley malt and went to bottles enzymes, but I'm still not really happy.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, henry sangret wrote:

              > I use corn alot to make a neutral spirit for topping my barrels off, I ferment and I distill on the grain.
              >
              > I have been using a mix of yellow and white corn meal, they come in 25 lb. bags and I have been paying $12 per bag. Easy to use, just bring the necessary water to a rolling boil put put it into a suitable large fermenter add corn meal and mix thoroughly (hint : I use a propeller bladed paint mixer on a cordless electric drill) . I would suggest you put your chiller in immediately if you have one because it quickly gelatinizes. After the mash temp drops to 60 C  I add my enzyme cocktail and thoroughly mix again, it thins quickly. When ready I distill in a water bath jacketed boiler so it doesn't scorch the grain, I have found that certain spirits taste better when distilled in such a way.

            • henry sangret
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
                I use 2 # of corn meal per gal of water, I like the meal because you don't need to simmer it for hours to release the starches. When buying corn meal try to get both white and yellow meal, the yellow is where most of the flavors are (outside of the kernel) and the white is where most starched are residing. You can use just yellow but you need to up the ratio to 2 1/3 # per gal.   For starch conversions I am using both Alpha and Gluco-Amylase Enzymes and a yeast nutrient.

                I generally cook up 5 gal of water and when it boils hard I dump it into a 20 gal fermenter and than mix the corn. While that is working I make a second batch and mix the water in, stirring thoroughly, (I love that paint stirer)  and than add the corn mix and put the chiller in and let both batches set up for an hour before I start chilling to 60C.