Gravity readings

  • Dan D
    Message 1 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
      Hello my fellow Distillers;
      I am new to the world of distilling and need a bit of help to make sure I understand my gravity readings.
      I mashed up 100% cracked corn & sugar, cooled & pitched my yeast.
      I forgot to take my reading before I add the yeast, but took a reading
      anyways.
      It showed my SP GR of 1.075 which is 12%(at least the way I understand it). So my question is, did I read this correctly? Would the yeast through off my true gravity or is it mute.

      Thanks
    • tgfoitwoods
      Message 2 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
        It would help some to know a bit more about your mash. For instance, many corn mashes are thick enough to retard the "sinking" of the hydrometer, which will give you artificially high readings. Also, if fermentation has started, bubbles can form on the hydrometer, also give high readings.

        How much sugar did you put in for how much total volume?   Of course, a lot of corn can confuse that calculation. When you say "mashed" your corn, does that mean you had enzymes o some sort present to convert the corn starch to sugar, and held the enzyme-corn mix at about 152F to 155F for an hour or so? That will change your specific gravity greatly. When you measured SG, did oyu stick the hydrometer in the kettle (with the corn) or did you get some clear liquid off the top of the mash, in a jar to measure SG?

        Sorry to ask all these questions, but that will help us give better answers.

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan D" wrote:

        > Hello my fellow Distillers;
        > I am new to the world of distilling and need a bit of help to make sure I understand my gravity readings.
        > I mashed up 100% cracked corn & sugar, cooled & pitched my yeast.
        > I forgot to take my reading before I add the yeast, but took a reading
        > anyways.
        > It showed my SP GR of 1.075 which is 12%(at least the way I understand it). So my question is, did I read this correctly? Would the yeast through off my true gravity or is it mute.
        >
        > Thanks

      • Dan D
        Message 3 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
          Hi & thanks for looking into this.
          I did 4.5 gal of distilled water, 7.5 lbs of cracked corn and 5 lbs of sugar. I have a Bayou Classic SS pot with basket. I put cheese cloth in the basket & added the corn & boiled. I sparged the corn after an hr @ 150 to 160 and added the remaining half gal too, then added sugar. I used distillers yeast (Crosby & Baker)40 grams (re hydrated in distilled 95 degree water)
          After 20 min to re hydrate I pitched in the wash. closed the bucket & reopen after remembering to check Gravity. yeast was in but had not started to bubble until 20 min after checking the reading.
          I have a glass jar for hydrometer, I poured the finished wash into it & spun it then let it settle & got the reading.
          And I have no issues with the questions, that's why I asked for the help. And thanks again btw.
        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
            Thanks for the information. Kinda reverse-engineering your wash, 5 ounnds of sugar in what was probably close to 5 gallons of sugar-water solution, comes out to (about) 1 pound of sugar per gallon. That should give you a SG of 1.045 (roughly), equating to a potential alcohol of 5.9% ABV.

            As far as the corn addition, it does not appear that any enzyme activity was used to convert the corn starches to fermentable sugars, so the corn extract's sole purpose would be for flavoring. I'm guessing that the corn starch raised your SG from 1.045 to the higher value that you told us earlier, but that doesn't change the potential alcohol possibility, because the increased SG doesn't represent an in crease in fermentable sugars.

            To convert those corn starches to fermentable sugars, like the commercial whiskey manufacturers do, you have to first boil to gelatinize the corn starch, and then cool the mash to ~153-155F and add amylase enzymes, either from malted barley, or from bottled enzymes from you homebrew supplier. I'd suggest you google "all grain mash", although much of what you'll find will be about barley malt, which already has the amylase enzymes in it.

            Message 5 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
              Zymurgy Bob;
              Thanks for checking into this for me.
              The amounts are pretty much right on, But I only ended up with a total of 4.5 gallons in my bucket. Which may have been the reason for the higher reading.
              I didn't add the enzymes as you concluded. I went with a simple mash recipe I found online that I could start out with. But was unsure which malts to choose for it.
              My aim is to make a single grain shine to learn on and expand once I had the first batch done for me to have a taste example to work from. The over all idea was to do a fruit infused shine, so I guess a neutral spirits is my goal. I will be looking into the malts to do my sugar conversions more.
              But once it finishes fermenting I will post my finished readings.

              Again thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 15 , Jan 27, 2013
                Dan, you are very welcome, of course.

                If you want to try a single grain whiskey, it's hard to beat a single malt using homebrew supply malted barley. It's already got the enzymes in it, and the procedure for barley malt is documented in lot of books and all over the web. Corn is several steps harder to work with, and I find barley whiskey delicious.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan D" wrote:

                > Zymurgy Bob;
                > Thanks for checking into this for me.
                > The amounts are pretty much right on, But I only ended up with a total of 4.5 gallons in my bucket. Which may have been the reason for the higher reading.
                > I didn't add the enzymes as you concluded. I went with a simple mash recipe I found online that I could start out with. But was unsure which malts to choose for it.
                > My aim is to make a single grain shine to learn on and expand once I had the first batch done for me to have a taste example to work from. The over all idea was to do a fruit infused shine, so I guess a neutral spirits is my goal. I will be looking into the malts to do my sugar conversions more.
                > But once it finishes fermenting I will post my finished readings.
                >
                > Again thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

              • RLB
                Message 7 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
                  If you are a true artist, try malting your own grains its not too difficult.  Sprout your grain, remove sprouts and roots, dry (possibly smoke) grind 25% and crush the rest.  When my experiments move to include grains, I cant wait to try malting.  If you watch the "Moonshiners" TV show, there is one person who doesn't use commercial yeast or sugar, and I have to try it that way this summer.

                  Robert

                  If you want to try a single grain whiskey, it's hard to beat a single malt using homebrew supply malted barley. It's already got the enzymes in it, and the procedure for barley malt is documented in lot of books and all over the web. Corn is several steps harder to work with, and I find barley whiskey delicious.

                  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Dan D" wrote:

                  > Zymurgy Bob;
                  > Thanks for checking into this for me.
                  > The amounts are pretty much right on, But I only ended up with a total of 4.5 gallons in my bucket. Which may have been the reason for the higher reading.
                  > I didn't add the enzymes as you concluded. I went with a simple mash recipe I found online that I could start out with. But was unsure which malts to choose for it.
                  > My aim is to make a single grain shine to learn on and expand once I had the first batch done for me to have a taste example to work from. The over all idea was to do a fruit infused shine, so I guess a neutral spirits is my goal. I will be looking into the malts to do my sugar conversions more.
                  > But once it finishes fermenting I will post my finished readings.
                  >
                  > Again thank you for taking the time to answer my question.

                • henry sangret
                  Message 8 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
                    I hope you people dont put much stock in the TV show, remember it a reality show and made to entertain not inform. If the show was real how long do you think it would take the government to put these people behind bars!

                    I love barley based whiskeys, I like to use 20% peated to give a hint of smoke and triple pot distill. Barley is also nice with 20% rye for spice.

                    Henry

                    Message 9 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
                      Zymurgy Bob,Robert,Henry;
                      Gentlemen Thank you for the suggestions on the grains.
                      I do watch the show Moonshiners but I did some general research online to make the decision to just use the corn off of that not the show. I also ready on another forum (forget which with all the searching I have been doing)they just used sugar, cornmeal & yeast.
                      I think I was aiming for a sour mash, but changed my mind & went with the recipe I listed. I am reading more each day & looking into which grains or malts I want to use on my next batch I make up. Just need to understand my processes of how to cook them up & additives to use.

                      Henry thank you for the descriptions of the barley & peat, will keep it in mind when looking for my next ingredients.

                      Robert- I did some research into malting my grains & seen a few ideas for indoor processes as well. Will be something I get into a little later as I progress in getting my ingredients & flavors honed in!

                      As always I thank you for the info & inputs!
                    • tgfoitwoods
                      Message 10 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
                        You got it, Henry,

                        Learning distilling from "Moonshiners" is like learning animal husbandry from "Scooby Doo".

                        Message 11 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
                          If you knew nothing about distilling like myself before watching the show, Moonshines provided me with a few good tips: pot, thumper, and worm.  As I learned more then it was obvious there was a lot missing.  malting and smoking was another good tip.

                          Robert

                          Message 12 of 15 , Jan 28, 2013
                            I knew bits long ago & had a friend that made his own version of Southern Comfort that I thought was a lot better. But he was an old school distiller & made hi test fuel as well. But the show was good entertainment for me.

                            Zymurgy Bob: you almost made me fall out my chair with that comment. Get on stage with stuff like that & you wont go broke. In my book anywho.

                            Message 13 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
                              I use corn alot to make a neutral spirit for topping my barrels off, I ferment and I distill on the grain.

                              I have been using a mix of yellow and white corn meal, they come in 25 lb. bags and I have been paying $12 per bag. Easy to use, just bring the necessary water to a rolling boil put put it into a suitable large fermenter add corn meal and mix thoroughly (hint : I use a propeller bladed paint mixer on a cordless electric drill) . I would suggest you put your chiller in immediately if you have one because it quickly gelatinizes. After the mash temp drops to 60 C  I add my enzyme cocktail and thoroughly mix again, it thins quickly. When ready I distill in a water bath jacketed boiler so it doesn't scorch the grain, I have found that certain spirits taste better when distilled in such a way.

                              Message 14 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
                                Henry,

                                What ratio of corn to water do you use? Corn mash can get awfully thick during some of the intermediate processes, at least for me. Oh, and what enzymes are you using? I alos gave up on barley malt and went to bottles enzymes, but I'm still not really happy.

                                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, henry sangret wrote:

                                > I use corn alot to make a neutral spirit for topping my barrels off, I ferment and I distill on the grain.
                                >
                                > I have been using a mix of yellow and white corn meal, they come in 25 lb. bags and I have been paying $12 per bag. Easy to use, just bring the necessary water to a rolling boil put put it into a suitable large fermenter add corn meal and mix thoroughly (hint : I use a propeller bladed paint mixer on a cordless electric drill) . I would suggest you put your chiller in immediately if you have one because it quickly gelatinizes. After the mash temp drops to 60 C  I add my enzyme cocktail and thoroughly mix again, it thins quickly. When ready I distill in a water bath jacketed boiler so it doesn't scorch the grain, I have found that certain spirits taste better when distilled in such a way.

                              • henry sangret
                                Message 15 of 15 , Jan 29, 2013
                                  I use 2 # of corn meal per gal of water, I like the meal because you don't need to simmer it for hours to release the starches. When buying corn meal try to get both white and yellow meal, the yellow is where most of the flavors are (outside of the kernel) and the white is where most starched are residing. You can use just yellow but you need to up the ratio to 2 1/3 # per gal.   For starch conversions I am using both Alpha and Gluco-Amylase Enzymes and a yeast nutrient.

                                  I generally cook up 5 gal of water and when it boils hard I dump it into a 20 gal fermenter and than mix the corn. While that is working I make a second batch and mix the water in, stirring thoroughly, (I love that paint stirer)  and than add the corn mix and put the chiller in and let both batches set up for an hour before I start chilling to 60C.