Re: [Distillers] copper

  • roger shattuck
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013

      --- On Wed, 1/23/13, henry sangret <henrysangret@...> wrote:

      From: henry sangret <henrysangret@...>
      Subject: Re: [Distillers] copper
      To: "Distillers@yahoogroups.com" <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2013, 2:47 PM

      where do you live ?

      From: wandering_forrest <wandering_forrest@...>
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:15 AM
      Subject: [Distillers] copper

      does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

    • Frank Narciso
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
        Call larger plumbing supply places, mechanical and/or plumbing contractors. Or roofing gutter companies. They use the stuff. It is expensive. In California for a 3x8 sheet it was about $250.

        Sent from my iPad

        does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

      • forrest sutton
        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 27, 2013
          I'm in NC

          does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

        • Ed Barcik
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 27, 2013

            Try a roofing supply company, they use it for flashing and other things and it comes in decent size sheets and different thickness

            http://basiccopper.com/copper-sheet--rolls.html

          • chris
            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 3, 2013
              The use of copper reduces the sulfides in your product is what I,ve heard and read. As far as expense, I called a scrap outfit that had some freight damaged 2" copper tube and they wanted $10 a foot.

              Just my 2 cents worth
              Chris

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Palmer" wrote:

              > The advantage that copper has is:
              > 1. its high conductivity for heat.
              > 2. low cost.
              > 3. easy to work with.
              >
              > But you are right about SS, it is the way to go if you can.
              > Ted Palmer
              > tpalmer@...

            • Angelis
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 3, 2013
                Thanks Chris

                Michael

                On Feb 3, 2013, at 11:14 AM, "chris" <gonagin58@...> wrote:

                The use of copper reduces the sulfides in your product is what I,ve heard and read. As far as expense, I called a scrap outfit that had some freight damaged 2" copper tube and they wanted $10 a foot.

                Just my 2 cents worth
                Chris

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Palmer" wrote:

                > The advantage that copper has is:
                > 1. its high conductivity for heat.
                > 2. low cost.
                > 3. easy to work with.
                >
                > But you are right about SS, it is the way to go if you can.
                > Ted Palmer
                > tpalmer@...

              • henry sangret
                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 4, 2013
                  yes it does, I cut up some copper tubing and mixed them into my glass packing materials in my reflux still and it works great!