Re: Southeast US

  • tgfoitwoods
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
      Another happy potstiller. That just warms my heart.

      Bluwater, along the lines of what Henry just said, you should be able to make ahead or part of ahead that just swaps out the existing reflux head on your MileHi. That's 2" copper, right?

      I live in a rural area with limited shopping service, but still I have 2 hardware stores that handle 2" pipe and will cut for me. In some ways, the smaller the store, the more likely they are to cut shorts.

      --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, henry sangret wrote:

      > I use the same boiler for my pot and reflux still. I use the pot still to keep the character of the whiskey I make , the reflux is for neutral spirits, havent had much luck with using the reflux as a pot still. I triple distill my burbon in the pot still .. comes out wonderful, just watch the cuts for the flavor you are looking for.
      >

      > ________________________________

    • Big Jim
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013

        McMaster Carr has a shipping center in Atlanta. I have ordered 2" copper (I think it was them) from them and had it in North Florida the next day.
          They ain't the cheapest place, BUTT they got most of what you need.
          Big Jim
        From: bluwater2828@... <bluwater2828@...>
        Subject: [Distillers] Southeast US
        To: "Distillers@yahoogroups.com" <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Thursday, January 24, 2013, 3:03 PM

        I live in Georgia and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a supplier for copper sheet. Pretty much come to the conclusion my reflux still I purchased from mile hi is not going to make a good bourbon. I really like my still. Solid well made. But it wants to run distillate too high. Even not packing the column and running as a pot still. Tried turning the heat up and just scorches the wash.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone
      • W D Heimer
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
          If you live near Augusta, Hajoca plumbing supply has 2” copper.  They don’t normally sell short pieces, but they cut me a 4’ piece off of a length that was bent.
          Reagrdz, Dave H.

          Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:03 PM

          I live in Georgia and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a supplier for copper sheet. Pretty much come to the conclusion my reflux still I purchased from mile hi is not going to make a good bourbon. I really like my still. Solid well made. But it wants to run distillate too high. Even not packing the column and running as a pot still. Tried turning the heat up and just scorches the wash.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

        • forrest sutton
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
            I've owned a mile high still for several years and have made many attempts to achieve a good burbon without success,  I soon will begin a new project of building a traditional pot still.

          • henry sangret
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
              I did the same, I have a pot still and a reflux for neutral spirits. BTW I use the pot still alot,  not just for whiskeys but also stripping washes!