Southeast US

  • bluwater2828
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
      I live in Georgia and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a supplier for copper sheet. Pretty much come to the conclusion my reflux still I purchased from mile hi is not going to make a good bourbon. I really like my still. Solid well made. But it wants to run distillate too high. Even not packing the column and running as a pot still. Tried turning the heat up and just scorches the wash.

      Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone
    • jeffkimblelv
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
        Have you tried insulating your MH column? You may be getting some passive reflux with that much surface area.

        Now, if you are looking for a new project, don't let that stop you..

      • roger shattuck
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
          I think they keep that stuff hidden. I can't find any 2" pipe out here

          I live in Georgia and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a supplier for copper sheet. Pretty much come to the conclusion my reflux still I purchased from mile hi is not going to make a good bourbon. I really like my still. Solid well made. But it wants to run distillate too high. Even not packing the column and running as a pot still. Tried turning the heat up and just scorches the wash.

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

        • henry sangret
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
            I use the same boiler for my pot and reflux still. I use the pot still to keep the character of the whiskey I make , the reflux is for neutral spirits, havent had much luck with using the reflux as a pot still. I triple distill my burbon in the pot still .. comes out wonderful, just watch the cuts for the flavor you are looking for.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
              you can usually get 2 in copper through a good pipe and hardware supply. For stainless I use McMaster Carr out of Chicago, google it!

              From: bluwater2828@... <bluwater2828@...>
              To: "Distillers@yahoogroups.com" <Distillers@yahoogroups.com>
              Date: Thursday, January 24, 2013, 3:03 PM

              I live in Georgia and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a supplier for copper sheet. Pretty much come to the conclusion my reflux still I purchased from mile hi is not going to make a good bourbon. I really like my still. Solid well made. But it wants to run distillate too high. Even not packing the column and running as a pot still. Tried turning the heat up and just scorches the wash.

              Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone
            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
                Another happy potstiller. That just warms my heart.

                Bluwater, along the lines of what Henry just said, you should be able to make ahead or part of ahead that just swaps out the existing reflux head on your MileHi. That's 2" copper, right?

                I live in a rural area with limited shopping service, but still I have 2 hardware stores that handle 2" pipe and will cut for me. In some ways, the smaller the store, the more likely they are to cut shorts.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, henry sangret wrote:

                > I use the same boiler for my pot and reflux still. I use the pot still to keep the character of the whiskey I make , the reflux is for neutral spirits, havent had much luck with using the reflux as a pot still. I triple distill my burbon in the pot still .. comes out wonderful, just watch the cuts for the flavor you are looking for.
                >

                > ________________________________

              • Big Jim
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013

                  McMaster Carr has a shipping center in Atlanta. I have ordered 2" copper (I think it was them) from them and had it in North Florida the next day.
                    They ain't the cheapest place, BUTT they got most of what you need.
                    Big Jim
                  you can usually get 2 in copper through a good pipe and hardware supply. For stainless I use McMaster Carr out of Chicago, google it!

                  I think they keep that stuff hidden. I can't find any 2" pipe out here

                  I live in Georgia and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a supplier for copper sheet. Pretty much come to the conclusion my reflux still I purchased from mile hi is not going to make a good bourbon. I really like my still. Solid well made. But it wants to run distillate too high. Even not packing the column and running as a pot still. Tried turning the heat up and just scorches the wash.

                  Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone
                • W D Heimer
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 24, 2013
                    If you live near Augusta, Hajoca plumbing supply has 2” copper.  They don’t normally sell short pieces, but they cut me a 4’ piece off of a length that was bent.
                    Reagrdz, Dave H.

                    Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2013 5:03 PM

                    I live in Georgia and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a supplier for copper sheet. Pretty much come to the conclusion my reflux still I purchased from mile hi is not going to make a good bourbon. I really like my still. Solid well made. But it wants to run distillate too high. Even not packing the column and running as a pot still. Tried turning the heat up and just scorches the wash.

                    Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

                  • forrest sutton
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
                      I've owned a mile high still for several years and have made many attempts to achieve a good burbon without success,  I soon will begin a new project of building a traditional pot still.

                    • henry sangret
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jan 25, 2013
                        I did the same, I have a pot still and a reflux for neutral spirits. BTW I use the pot still alot,  not just for whiskeys but also stripping washes!