Re: [Distillers] copper

  • Chad Baker
    Message 1 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
      Same question, Fort Worth Texas.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On Jan 23, 2013, at 15:47, henry sangret <henrysangret@...> wrote:

      where do you live ?

      From: wandering_forrest <wandering_forrest@...>
      To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 6:15 AM
      Subject: [Distillers] copper

      does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

    • henry sangret
      Message 2 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
        There is a online company out of chicago I deal with alot, and they are called McMaster Carr and they ship very fast!

        Message 3 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
          Los Angeles has many sheet metal supply stores.  Look up sheet copper on the web, put your state or town in the search.  Bring your check book!

          Sent from my iPad

          John S. Thomas
          951 676 2337

          On Jan 23, 2013, at 1:47 PM, henry sangret <henrysangret@...> wrote:

          where do you live ?

          does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

        • tgfoitwoods
          Message 4 of 17 , Jan 23, 2013
            I haven't bought sheet copper from them, but I use McMaster Carr for copper fittings and stainless pipe parts. They are super to deal with and have an incredible inventory.

            Message 5 of 17 , Jan 24, 2013
              Love those people ! Its amazing what they have and in stock that doesnt show up on theit online catalogue!  I bought the quick connect stainless sanitary fittings for connecting my stillheads for the pot and reflux  stills from them and all my stainless sheet and tubing.

              I haven't bought sheet copper from them, but I use McMaster Carr for copper fittings and stainless pipe parts. They are super to deal with and have an incredible inventory.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, henry sangret wrote:

              > There is a online company out of chicago I deal with alot, and they are called McMaster Carr and they ship very fast!
              >

              > ________________________________

            • roger shattuck
              Message 6 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013

                does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

              • Frank Narciso
                Message 7 of 17 , Jan 26, 2013
                  Call larger plumbing supply places, mechanical and/or plumbing contractors. Or roofing gutter companies. They use the stuff. It is expensive. In California for a 3x8 sheet it was about $250.

                  Sent from my iPad

                  does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

                • forrest sutton
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jan 27, 2013
                    I'm in NC

                    does anyone out there have any insight or guidance on where to buy sheet copper?

                  • Ed Barcik
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jan 27, 2013

                      Try a roofing supply company, they use it for flashing and other things and it comes in decent size sheets and different thickness

                      http://basiccopper.com/copper-sheet--rolls.html

                    • chris
                      Message 10 of 17 , Feb 3 8:14 AM
                        The use of copper reduces the sulfides in your product is what I,ve heard and read. As far as expense, I called a scrap outfit that had some freight damaged 2" copper tube and they wanted $10 a foot.

                        Just my 2 cents worth
                        Chris

                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "Ted Palmer" wrote:

                        > The advantage that copper has is:
                        > 1. its high conductivity for heat.
                        > 2. low cost.
                        > 3. easy to work with.
                        >
                        > But you are right about SS, it is the way to go if you can.
                        > Ted Palmer
                        > tpalmer@...

                      • Angelis
                        Message 11 of 17 , Feb 3 7:22 PM
                          Thanks Chris

                          Michael

                          Message 12 of 17 , Feb 4 1:00 PM
                            yes it does, I cut up some copper tubing and mixed them into my glass packing materials in my reflux still and it works great!