Re: reflux still style comparison?

  • GGB
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 23, 2013
      "ballard_bootlegger" wrote: "add a dephlegmator and a shotgun condenser"

      I've seen the term dephlegmator couple of times. What's the difference please between one of those and a coiled wound condenser sitting in the top of a boka or mason reflux column? I can appreciate one of these is a liquid management type, how does a dephlegmator type work?

      Thanks
      Paul
    • donna ricketts
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 23, 2013
        Im sorry I caught this in my email and there was a statement in there about Still Dragon shit I got my butt chewed out for even saying there name.....just saying ChefSteve

      • Becool Stayslinky
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 23, 2013
          If I could offer a suggestion that has worked well for me.  If you figure out the wattage range that you will be running, you can split the load into two elements.  You can run one at full power and control the other element with a variac such as the one pictured below, currently listed on ebay for $100 plus shipping.  I have two of these, one at 120 volt 25 amps, and one at 240 volt 10 amps.  With these two variacs and a selection of elements I can run just about any combination up to 4500 watts on my VM keg still and they are cheap and simple.  Or you can run the whole load with a bigger unit - 5000w goes for about $170 plus shipping

          Cheers

          BC

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, Bill Rogers wrote:

          > awesome information, thank you. 5500 coil + controls is 450$ :/. youch!
          >

          > On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM, ballard_bootlegger <
          > whitney@... wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > Hi Bill,
          > > A reflux column packed with copper mesh probably gives you the most bang
          > > for your buck. This is especially true if you have any height restrictions.
          > > Bubble cap plate stills are probably overall the best, but you need 10-14
          > > plates to get truly neutral spirit, that's tall. I'd go with the still
          > > dragon for both. The dragon bubble cap stills are modular so you can add to
          > > them as you go if you want more or less reflux. OR, You can pack 3' of
          > > stainless tube with copper mesh, add a dephlegmator and a shotgun condenser
          > > (all of which can be sourced at stilldragon.com for substantially lower
          > > prices than anywhere else I've seen) and you've got yourself a still that
          > > can sit in equilibrium indefinitely. Larry should be paying me for this
          > > shit :-)
          > >
          > > As far as your heat source, electricity is always going to be more
          > > efficient than propane, but you'd be hard pressed to find an electric
          > > burner that's going to give you the power you want for a reasonable price.
          > > That leaves internal heating elements which come with their own set of
          > > issues. Elements are great for spirit runs, but you can't run them if
          > > you're distilling on the grain. I use gas for my stripping still because I
          > > like to distill on the grain, and I use a 5500 watt element for all
          > > subsequent runs.
          > >
          > > Let us know what you end up going with!
          > >
          > > Drink Well,
          > > W.

        • Becool Stayslinky
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 23, 2013
            Sorry the pic didn't load but you can see it here (maybe):

            http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-AUTOTRANSFORMER-20A-0-140V-V-60Hz-variac-/321059511139?pt=Educational_Toys_US&hash=item4ac0a35b63

            Lots of others to choose from.

            BC