Re: [Distillers] Re: mash question

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 23, 2013
      I just got my new pot still, so I am experimenting to find its cuts.  All my garlic samples used baker's yeast, so I just mixed all of the baker's yeast into my first 3 striping runs.  In total, just under 1 gal of stripped alcohol was collected from all of my 1 gal samples.  All of that stripped bakers yeast smelled like turpentine or glue.  After a week in 1 qt jars, they did smell better.  I am currently waiting to collect a second gal of stripped alcohol to see what the final results will be with 4 garlic samples mixed in with the other.  I did a control garlic and not garlic samples, and the garlic sample stalled a week before its control sample.  I have better yeast that can tolerate 16% abv  I will do 2 more garlic samples and 2 non garlic samples with my new yeast and see what the results will be.  1 tbsp of garlic stalled in a sugar wash, but a 0.5 tbsp in a dark brown sugar wash did much better.  For a true garlic sample test it will take at least 15 gal of garlic wash.

      Testing will continue as always, but its cold enough here to slow down fermentation.

      Robert