Re: mash question

  • nick shaffer
    Message 1 of 26 , Jan 21, 2013
      I was in hosp. and had mash working,how long will mass stay good with air locks?
    • Ion Brown
      Message 2 of 26 , Jan 21, 2013
        NICK , how crook are you ?

        Ion
      • ballard_bootlegger
        Message 3 of 26 , Jan 23, 2013
          So what happened with the garlic? I'm almost positive the garlic flavor would come through the distillation. I've never thought of flavoring booze with garlic, it may be a magical addition to someone's gin recipe. Let us know how it turns out.

          W.

          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "last2blast" wrote:

          > If you added garlic to mash, would it kill the bacteria without harming the yeast in mash?
          >
          > I will conduct an experiment to see how well garlic and yeast react to each other in a simple sugar mash.

        • RLB
          Message 4 of 26 , Jan 23, 2013
            I just got my new pot still, so I am experimenting to find its cuts.  All my garlic samples used baker's yeast, so I just mixed all of the baker's yeast into my first 3 striping runs.  In total, just under 1 gal of stripped alcohol was collected from all of my 1 gal samples.  All of that stripped bakers yeast smelled like turpentine or glue.  After a week in 1 qt jars, they did smell better.  I am currently waiting to collect a second gal of stripped alcohol to see what the final results will be with 4 garlic samples mixed in with the other.  I did a control garlic and not garlic samples, and the garlic sample stalled a week before its control sample.  I have better yeast that can tolerate 16% abv  I will do 2 more garlic samples and 2 non garlic samples with my new yeast and see what the results will be.  1 tbsp of garlic stalled in a sugar wash, but a 0.5 tbsp in a dark brown sugar wash did much better.  For a true garlic sample test it will take at least 15 gal of garlic wash.

            Testing will continue as always, but its cold enough here to slow down fermentation.

            Robert