Re: [Distillers] Re: beginning question(s)

  • Bill Rogers
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
      I use propane.  I also make 15 gallon washes.  Rack it into 5-7 gallon batches and toss those into the fridge in the garage.  after they settle out for a few days, siphon those into the boiler.  a typical run is 7-8 gallons of wash + tails.

      what do you use for heat?  I do 15 gal batches so storing in a fridge would be dificult. I usuallt ferment till t quits bubbeling and than starts to settle and than strip I can reduce the alcohol and water content by 60 to 70% easier to store.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
        Four feet should be plenty long for the column. This is assuming you are making a compound still creating plenty of reflux. At that length you your still should be able to equiliberate up to ~1500 watts. The math I use for these small columns uses 3 feet of 2" pipe, so there may be a little bit of a difference in capability.

        What are you using to create your reflux?

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrlovjoy" wrote:

        > I just got 10 feet of 1 1/2 inch copper tubing from Lowes, because that's the largest they had, and I am reading that many use this size successfully. I have a ss sink drain basket and a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch threaded connector to join the column to the boiler (probably a beer keg, or milk can, which I don't have yet). I am thinking of making the column a separate part so I can change length and head styles as I learn. Is there any sort of best column length for this diameter? I am reading as fast as I can, but I want to start construction soon, and I am no math whiz. opinions welcome. Thanks, H.

      • mrlovjoy
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ballard_bootlegger" wrote:

          > Four feet should be plenty long for the column...
          > What are you using to create your reflux?

          Hi Boot. Planning on ss scrubbers first, cause that's what the store had. Sometime today I will be running my first experimental wash through a pot still consisting of a ss pot, a bowl on top, and 1/4 inch copper tubing/coil out the top of the bowl. Bare bones, to say the least. Later I plan on modular parts which I can swap out as I learn. I'll post what happens next. H.
        • ballard_bootlegger
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 25, 2013
            The pot and bowl is a fun one. :-) My version was a big tea kettle, my coil stuck through a cork in the spout. When you change packing try looking at a hardware store in the pest control department, they sell great copper mesh made to keep birds out.

            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrlovjoy" wrote:

            > Hi Boot. Planning on ss scrubbers first, cause that's what the store had. Sometime today I will be running my first experimental wash through a pot still consisting of a ss pot, a bowl on top, and 1/4 inch copper tubing/coil out the top of the bowl. Bare bones, to say the least. Later I plan on modular parts which I can swap out as I learn. I'll post what happens next. H.

          • roger shattuck
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 26, 2013
              About the copper scrubbers: the ones I've been finding are copper plated mystery metal from China. Are these safe to use?

              TheShatt's Speakeasy

              The pot and bowl is a fun one. :-) My version was a big tea kettle, my coil stuck through a cork in the spout.  When you change packing try looking at a hardware store in the pest control department, they sell great copper mesh made to keep birds out.

              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrlovjoy"  wrote:

              > Hi Boot. Planning on ss scrubbers first, cause that's what the store had. Sometime today I will be running my first experimental wash through a pot still consisting of a ss pot, a bowl on top, and 1/4 inch copper tubing/coil out the top of the bowl. Bare bones, to say the least. Later I plan on modular parts which I can swap out as I learn. I'll post what happens next. H.

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:
                  Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                  Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • tgfoitwoods
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 26, 2013
                Sorry, the plated scrubbies are a great way to mess up a still run. They turn to black muck pretty quickly.

                --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, roger shattuck wrote:

                > About the copper scrubbers: the ones I've been finding are copper plated mystery metal from China. Are these safe to use?
                > TheShatt's Speakeasy

              • henry sangret
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 27, 2013
                  I wouldn't use then, who knows what they are made of, the Chinese were using alot of Russian scrap some old Nuclear Navy ships, want to the dark anyone?

                  From: ballard_bootlegger <whitney@...>
                  To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                  Date: Friday, January 25, 2013, 5:24 PM

                  The pot and bowl is a fun one. :-) My version was a big tea kettle, my coil stuck through a cork in the spout.  When you change packing try looking at a hardware store in the pest control department, they sell great copper mesh made to keep birds out.  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrlovjoy"  wrote: > Hi Boot. Planning on ss scrubbers first, cause that's what the store had. Sometime today I will be running my first experimental wash through a pot still consisting of a ss pot, a bowl on top, and 1/4 inch copper tubing/coil out the top of the bowl. Bare bones, to say the least. Later I plan on modular parts which I can swap out as I learn. I'll post what happens next. H. > ------------------------------------ Distillers list archives : http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf/ FAQ, Howto distil etc. : http://homedistiller.orgYahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/ <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/join     (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email:     Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com     Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     Distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/