RE: [Distillers] Digest Number 816

  • Robert N
    Message 1 of 1 , May 7, 2002
      Try the links below for the electronics to control the temperature. For a
      heating element, go along to your local Auslec or Lawrence and Hanson
      electrical wholesale store. They have several element types that will boil
      the wash. You really need something other than a normal electrical
      thermostat control; otherwise as with the current setup you will find too
      much fluctuation in the head temperatures. I personally have considered the
      electronic controls complete with thermocouple and PID to control the boil
      and have incorporated sockets into the still for a later inclusion if it
      warrants spending the extra $350au. I use a 10amp 2400-watt element in my
      50MM x 1500MM still tower without any thermo control whatsoever; I find that
      the wash boils at whatever temperature the wash boiling point is. It varies
      proportionally to the amount of alcohol that is in the wash at that
      particular time. Given that my electricity costs about $0.20 per hour to
      operate the element flat out, then the saving I would make on having
      electronic control over the heating element would take an awful long time to
      recoup. What I have found works for me, is a temperature gauge in the
      boiler; this allows me to see how much alcohol is in the wash. Install a $30
      digital thermometer with alarm from Jaycar Electronics in the head (See
      Below link). This allows me to preset this alarm, so that I can surf the net
      while the still is in action and when the alarm rings, I go out and adjust
      the reflux ratio down some more. At the end of the run the alarm will advise
      me when to start collecting the tails.

      For details and photos of my still

      http://www.jaycar.com.au/
      Indoor / Outdoor Thermometer with Memory & Alarm Cat. No: QM7212 you could
      also try Dick Smith or Tandy if Jaycar is not in proximity to you or not to
      your liking.

      http://www.pyrosales.com.au/index.html
      For thermocouple and PID controls

      http://www.rs-components.com.au/index.html
      For electronics, thermocouple and PID controls

      http://www.ascon.com.au/
      For thermocouple and PID controls

      Yours' in Spirit!

      Robert

      Message: 7
      Date: Tue, 07 May 2002 05:30:03 -0000
      From: "headbrewser" <headbrewser@...>
      Subject: Heating Element Suppliers in Aust.

      Just completed building my reflux still see: http://www.moonshine-
      still.com (not sure how to make a shortcut), and did a trial run with
      water. I found it difficult to maintain an even temp at the head. So
      now I want to add dual control electric elements and thermostat.

      Any Australian distillers know who supplies suitable elements of
      1400watt and thermostats with plus or minus 0.5celcius variation?