beginning question(s)

  • mrlovjoy
    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 14, 2013
      I just got 10 feet of 1 1/2 inch copper tubing from Lowes, because that's the largest they had, and I am reading that many use this size successfully. I have a ss sink drain basket and a 1 1/2 inch to 2 inch threaded connector to join the column to the boiler (probably a beer keg, or milk can, which I don't have yet). I am thinking of making the column a separate part so I can change length and head styles as I learn. Is there any sort of best column length for this diameter? I am reading as fast as I can, but I want to start construction soon, and I am no math whiz. opinions welcome. Thanks, H.
    • Bill Rogers
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
        with copper being as expensive as it is, you may be better served reading more first, then starting construction.  There are many (_MANY_) different types and styles of stills you can build depending on what type of end product you want.  The way i started, was to decide what i wanted to create and worked backwards from there.  I bought a still but am thinking to sell it and build a more efficient controllable one.

        I'm not sure what you were thinking to make with a 10' tube, but there is a lot more to it then just sticking a tube on top of a keg and heating some wash.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 15, 2013
          ... I'm not sure what you were thinking to make with a 10' tube...

          Hahahaha, yeah one would wonder,eh? Actually, the 10 foot pipe is the only size available, Loews wont cut them. Screws up their inventory, they say. I will, of course, be making a number of shorter pipes from the 10 footer, as necessary. My thought is to have a basic stuffed column on top of which I can mount various head/condenser designs. However, if you recommend a 10 foot tall column...
          Guess now I need a big ladder. :=)

          Thanks, Howard
        • mrlovjoy
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 16, 2013
            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ccgraa@..." wrote:

            > 32-36 inches should give you good start

            Thanks for the reply ccgraa. I'll start there.

            You too Bill. I sent a reply, but It seems to have gone astray. 10 feet is the only way 1.5 inch tubing is sold in my area. My thinking is a basic boiler and column, upon which I can experiment with different head designs. After all, I DO have extra tubing, eh? H.
          • henry sangret
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 17, 2013
              If you have a boiler already why not make 2 still heads, a pot still for stripping and a reflux for vodka and high potency runs. Running a reflux on first run was is a pain with all the suspended solids, so I strip everything and go from there on a second or third run.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
                I reflux my washes as a first run.  I don't have any issue with solids but i do rack my washes, refrig them and then rack again into the boiler.

                Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:36 AM

                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
                  what do you use for heat?  I do 15 gal batches so storing in a fridge would be dificult. I usuallt ferment till t quits bubbeling and than starts to settle and than strip I can reduce the alcohol and water content by 60 to 70% easier to store.

                  Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:36 AM

                  --- In mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "mailto:ccgraa%40aol.com" wrote:> > 32-36 inches should give you good start Thanks for the reply ccgraa. I'll start there. You too Bill. I sent a reply, but It seems to have gone astray. 10 feet is the only way 1.5 inch tubing is sold in my area. My thinking is a basic boiler and column, upon which I can experiment with different head designs. After all, I DO have extra tubing, eh? H.
                • Bill Rogers
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 18, 2013
                    I use propane.  I also make 15 gallon washes.  Rack it into 5-7 gallon batches and toss those into the fridge in the garage.  after they settle out for a few days, siphon those into the boiler.  a typical run is 7-8 gallons of wash + tails.

                    Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2013 1:36 AM

                    --- In mailto:Distillers%40yahoogroups.com, "mailto:ccgraa%40aol.com" wrote:> > 32-36 inches should give you good start Thanks for the reply ccgraa. I'll start there. You too Bill. I sent a reply, but It seems to have gone astray. 10 feet is the only way 1.5 inch tubing is sold in my area. My thinking is a basic boiler and column, upon which I can experiment with different head designs. After all, I DO have extra tubing, eh? H.

                  • ballard_bootlegger
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                      Four feet should be plenty long for the column. This is assuming you are making a compound still creating plenty of reflux. At that length you your still should be able to equiliberate up to ~1500 watts. The math I use for these small columns uses 3 feet of 2" pipe, so there may be a little bit of a difference in capability.

                      What are you using to create your reflux?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jan 23, 2013
                        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "ballard_bootlegger" wrote:

                        > Four feet should be plenty long for the column...
                        > What are you using to create your reflux?

                        Hi Boot. Planning on ss scrubbers first, cause that's what the store had. Sometime today I will be running my first experimental wash through a pot still consisting of a ss pot, a bowl on top, and 1/4 inch copper tubing/coil out the top of the bowl. Bare bones, to say the least. Later I plan on modular parts which I can swap out as I learn. I'll post what happens next. H.
                      • ballard_bootlegger
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jan 25, 2013
                          The pot and bowl is a fun one. :-) My version was a big tea kettle, my coil stuck through a cork in the spout. When you change packing try looking at a hardware store in the pest control department, they sell great copper mesh made to keep birds out.

                          --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrlovjoy" wrote:

                          > Hi Boot. Planning on ss scrubbers first, cause that's what the store had. Sometime today I will be running my first experimental wash through a pot still consisting of a ss pot, a bowl on top, and 1/4 inch copper tubing/coil out the top of the bowl. Bare bones, to say the least. Later I plan on modular parts which I can swap out as I learn. I'll post what happens next. H.

                        • roger shattuck
                          Message 12 of 14 , Jan 26, 2013
                            About the copper scrubbers: the ones I've been finding are copper plated mystery metal from China. Are these safe to use?

                            TheShatt's Speakeasy

                            The pot and bowl is a fun one. :-) My version was a big tea kettle, my coil stuck through a cork in the spout.  When you change packing try looking at a hardware store in the pest control department, they sell great copper mesh made to keep birds out.

                            --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrlovjoy"  wrote:

                            > Hi Boot. Planning on ss scrubbers first, cause that's what the store had. Sometime today I will be running my first experimental wash through a pot still consisting of a ss pot, a bowl on top, and 1/4 inch copper tubing/coil out the top of the bowl. Bare bones, to say the least. Later I plan on modular parts which I can swap out as I learn. I'll post what happens next. H.

                            <*> Your email settings:
                                Individual Email | Traditional

                            <*> To change settings online go to:
                                (Yahoo! ID required)

                            <*> To change settings via email:
                                Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • tgfoitwoods
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jan 26, 2013
                              Sorry, the plated scrubbies are a great way to mess up a still run. They turn to black muck pretty quickly.

                              --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, roger shattuck wrote:

                              > About the copper scrubbers: the ones I've been finding are copper plated mystery metal from China. Are these safe to use?
                              > TheShatt's Speakeasy

                            • henry sangret
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jan 27, 2013
                                I wouldn't use then, who knows what they are made of, the Chinese were using alot of Russian scrap some old Nuclear Navy ships, want to the dark anyone?

                                From: ballard_bootlegger <whitney@...>
                                To: Distillers@yahoogroups.com
                                Date: Friday, January 25, 2013, 5:24 PM

                                The pot and bowl is a fun one. :-) My version was a big tea kettle, my coil stuck through a cork in the spout.  When you change packing try looking at a hardware store in the pest control department, they sell great copper mesh made to keep birds out.  --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrlovjoy"  wrote: > Hi Boot. Planning on ss scrubbers first, cause that's what the store had. Sometime today I will be running my first experimental wash through a pot still consisting of a ss pot, a bowl on top, and 1/4 inch copper tubing/coil out the top of the bowl. Bare bones, to say the least. Later I plan on modular parts which I can swap out as I learn. I'll post what happens next. H. > ------------------------------------ Distillers list archives : http://www.taet.com.au/distillers.nsf/ FAQ, Howto distil etc. : http://homedistiller.orgYahoo! Groups Links <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/ <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Distillers/join     (Yahoo! ID required) <*> To change settings via email:     Distillers-digest@yahoogroups.com     Distillers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     Distillers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/