So much for thinking that I had thought of something new

  • last2blast
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 13, 2013
      After seeing the new photos of how to he used old oak barrel pieces in quart jars to color his whiskey, I realize that I did not think of something new. My problem is with the amount of oak used in that jar. How much room is there left for the whiskey? Maybe a pint or less.

      My thought was to line the sides of a 5 gal plastic pail with different degrees of chard oak in future experiments. This should give the color and character to my whiskey in a shorter period of time while cheating most of the angel share.

      Why don't people use other woods: Red oak, maple, cherry, apple, walnut, pine, hickory for flavor and character?
    • fatbloke
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 13, 2013
        Why didn't/don't they use different wood types ? Because of many century's of experimentation showed that for spirits storage and flavouring, only close grained, white oak was good enough for being leak proof along with the flavouring profiles that were imparted into the spirit from the wood. I understand that there was also chemical reasons for not using some woods for liquid spirits too.

        It was considered that the finest wood used originally Hungarian white oak, for reasons of growth patterns caused by the temperature variations i.e. cold enough winters and hot enough summers for the best graining. Even today I understand that the Hungarian oak is considered best, followed by French. American oak imparts a different flavour profile and hence is mainly associated with the whisky types made there - even then, its "northern" grown as the southern equivalent isn't fine enough grained. As with wine casks, there's a formula that can be calculated to work out the ratio of given area for the amount of "contact" between the liquid and the wood to work out the amount of oaking each size of barrel would supply.

        Hence chips, staves or spirals can only ever be an approximation of what a barrel would provide. They certainly don't provide the micro oxygenation levels a barrel provides.

        Plus each barrel size would only provide the correct levels of oaking for so long. It would be considered as spent after a certain amount of time as the colour and flavouring elements would be presumed exhausted.

        There is some record of chestnut being used for certain spirit and wine barrels (Italy I believe) but I believe they weren't generally used elsewhere.

        Of course, barrels used for other, less solvent/caustic materials would have been made from other woods, but for spirits white oak was the material of choice. Learning how to select the appropriate materials, was, as I understand it, one of the main parts of learning for the apprentice cooper......