Re: [Distillers] Fermentation

  • RLB
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 11, 2013
      I duplicated my 11/29/12 garlic experiment on 12/30/12 to the letter, but I did not re-pitch my either sample.  As of 01/11/13, my garlic sample has totally stalled, and my control sample is still fermenting strongly.  This leads me to believe that the re-pitch had something to do with it fermenting for so long.

      I also stopped using baker's yeast, and started using EC-1118 yeast.  I am attempting to raise EC-1118 yeast in a 2 qt soda bottle using the same ingredients as my wash.  Wow!  What a difference between the two types of yeasts.  A cup of my yeast solution was poured into each of my 3 newest samples and they started fermenting within minutes.  Right now those 3 samples are fermenting so strongly that I can smell the alcohol, similar to my last few freeze distilled washes.  EC-1118 is alcohol tolerant up to 16% abv, so it will be interesting to see how will those 3 new samples will turn out.  My 2.5 gallon still should arrive on Monday, so my experiments will soon become full cycle.

      Robert

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 23, 2013
        Ha! I wish I could eat sugar and shit whisky.