first build advice

  • mrlovjoy
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 9, 2013
      My first inclination was to stick the end of a coil of 1/4 inch copper tubing in the top of a pressure cooker, cool the coil, and see what happens. However, after reading the major web sites I am now considering something more sophisticated. I don't care about massive quantities, just good quality neutral ethanol. (For lawn tractor fuel, of course) Locally the largest I have found is 1.5 inch copper tubing and fittings. Could I make a usable reflux, or Boka from this size? Can anyone point me toward some fairly childlike instructions for running one of these things? I'm reading about listening for dripping in the column, and 10th degree temp. variations. Seriously? Maybe a sight glass rather than dripping sounds? Hope another new potential distillers questions aren't too tedious for you. Thanks, Howard.
    • jeffkimblelv
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2013
        http://wiki.homedistiller.org/Boka_Reflux_Still_-_How_To_Build

        A sight glass on the back of the column, so you can see the reflux would be a good approach.

        you can run a 1.5" boka, and it would be a good place to start out.. but be prepared to invest a lot of time. They work by recycling 90% of the distillate back down the column, so your takeoff rate is very slow.

        however, I'd suggest you start with that 1.5" copper and make a pot still with it first. You can reduce it from 1.5" to a 3/4" over 1/2" liebig condensor and be making some excellent spirits with less fuss.

        If you really want high proof, you will need to go with a boka style LM, or a Vapor Management Still, which are dirt simple to build.

        Lots of good web resources for more information in the forums below

        http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3
        http://homedistiller.org/forum/
        http://forum.moderndistiller.com

        --- In Distillers@yahoogroups.com, "mrlovjoy" wrote:

        > My first inclination was to stick the end of a coil of 1/4 inch copper tubing in the top of a pressure cooker, cool the coil, and see what happens. However, after reading the major web sites I am now considering something more sophisticated. I don't care about massive quantities, just good quality neutral ethanol. (For lawn tractor fuel, of course) Locally the largest I have found is 1.5 inch copper tubing and fittings. Could I make a usable reflux, or Boka from this size? Can anyone point me toward some fairly childlike instructions for running one of these things? I'm reading about listening for dripping in the column, and 10th degree temp. variations. Seriously? Maybe a sight glass rather than dripping sounds? Hope another new potential distillers questions aren't too tedious for you. Thanks, Howard.

      • henry sangret
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2013
          I built a very nice reflux column out of 2 inch copper tubing and some lead free solder, worked very well! Brewhaus has a first rate boiler which holds about 8 gallons , might be a little to big for your initial wishes, but you should try to stay with at least a 6 gal. boiler because you usually use low % alcohol washes of about 20 L.

          I made my first boiler with a turkey deep fryer pot and a stainless bowl, LOL still have it !